Charities using a car towing a trailer or a commercial type vehicle to dispose of waste at our household waste recycling centre (HWRC) will need to apply for our van and trailer permit.
Commercial type vehicles are defined as a vehicle with one or more of the following features: no rear windows, no rear side windows, no rear seats, an open back, or a back which is separate to the main cab (closed cab pickup).
How does the permit scheme work?
- Permits are issued free of charge
- Permits allow up to 12 visits in a 12 month period, and have no expiry date
- Permit holders must make the permit available for staff to check on arrival at the site
- Charities who use all 12 visits in less than a calendar year will not be able to apply for a renewal until one year has passed from the original issue date
- Permits will only be issued to charities operating in the Dudley Borough
- One permit will be issued per charity per year
Please see the HWRC van and trailer permit scheme for charities leaflet at the bottom of this page to find out if you will need a permit to enter the site.
Vehicles over 6’6” in height will need to make an appointment due to a height barrier being situated at the main site entrance. Cars towing trailers will also need an appointment for traffic management purposes. Appointments can be made by calling Dudley Council Plus.
How do I apply for a permit?
- Download and return the Application for Charities (pdf) along with a copy of your Lower Tier Waste Carrier Registration Licence
- All application forms will be processed and if approved permits will be posted out within 10 working days
- Please apply for your permit at least 10 working days before you plan to visit the site, to allow time for us to process the application.
- We cannot process applications in person.
In order to maximise recycling rates at the HWRC, charities are asked sort all waste into the correct containers for recycling on site. Pre-sorting materials before visiting the site will make visits easier and quicker. Any items suitable for reuse should be handed to a site operative.