Skip to main content

We can remove abandoned vehicles from highways and public spaces. Before reporting an abandoned vehicle please check to see if you think the vehicle really is abandoned.

Report an abandoned vehicle

Abandoned vehicles can be reported online by using our abandoned vehicle report form

What happens next?

We will visit the location within five working days of notification. If the vehicle is of low value a 24 hour notice will be attached to the vehicle. If it remains unclaimed on expiry of the notice the vehicle will be removed for destruction.

If the vehicle is of value, and therefore should not be destroyed, the vehicle may be taken into storage. A seven day notice will be served on the registered keeper.

We will work where possible with land owners to get a vehicle removed from private land. This may include serving a 15 day legal notice on the owner or the occupier of the land.

Fines and charges

Abandoning a vehicle is a criminal offence, carrying a maximum penalty on conviction of £2,500, three months imprisonment, or both.

You may also be liable for a Fixed Penalty Notice of £200

What happens when a vehicle has been removed?

Owners of abandoned vehicles that have been removed are also liable for the costs. These are specified in law under the Removal, Storage and Disposal of Vehicles (Prescribed Sums and Charges) Regulations 2008

For example for an abandoned car:

  • £150 vehicle removal
  • £20 per day storage
  • £75 disposal fee

Further information

What is an abandoned vehicle?

A vehicle may be abandoned if one or more of the following applies:

  • It has been stationary for a long time (weeks or months) and is not being used.
  • It is burned out, significantly damaged, in a poor condition such as with flat tyres.
  • It is untaxed and has no current MOT - you can check if a vehicle is taxed and has MOT on the DVLA webpage.
  • It has number plates missing

Vehicles that are parked inconveniently are not classed as abandoned vehicles unless they meet the criteria above.

If the vehicle is causing an obstruction, please report it to West Midlands Police or by calling 101.

Information we need when reporting an abandoned vehicle

When reporting a vehicle we will need the following information:

  • Registration number
  • Colour
  • Make and model
  • Condition
  • Location
  • How long it has been there

Untaxed vehicles

It is an offence to use or keep on the public road a motor vehicle (registered in the UK) without a valid current vehicle licence (road tax).

You can check if a vehicle is currently taxed by using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) online checker. You will need to know the registration number and make of the vehicle.

Report any untaxed vehicles to the DVLA