Skip to main content

Adult Social Care is means tested (with a few exceptions). If you have income or capital, you may be asked to contribute or pay in full for services.

Choosing and paying for care

You can get help from us to assess your social care needs to allow you to plan your social care support whether you qualify for funding from us, or not. Find out more about care costs and options.

Personal budgets

personal budget is an allocation of money that you use to pay for the care and support needs stated in your assessment and support plan. This is paid to you by us, depending upon your financial circumstances.
To establish if you qualify for funding and a personal budget a financial assessment of your circumstances will need to take place.

Direct payments

If you have been assessed by adult social care as eligible for social care support and are receiving a personal budget, you can choose to take this as direct payments. This means that the council will give you the money to purchase your own care and support.


You may not qualify for funding, depending on your savings and capital or your 'national eligibility threshold' under The Care Act 2014.
If you have more than £23,250 in savings or investments or capital, known as the 'upper capital limit', then you will have to pay the full cost of your care as a self-funding client.
We offer information, advice and support to help self-funders decide which care and support services best suit their needs.

Important updates

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is gradually being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP). DLA is no longer available for new claimants over the age of 16.  If you are worried, confused, or simply need more information, please see below:

Contact us