Advice and Information

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Care leavers require support and guidance before and after they turn 18. As a Dudley care leaver, you are entitled to a range of support until you are 25 years old.

As a care leaver, we know you may not have large networks of support; we want you to know that you are not alone and we are here to support you and help you to plan your next steps to independence.  You should expect the same level of care and support as other young people get from their families. Most young people, around 15 years old, are thinking about what career they want and where they want to live in the future.

Our Care Leavers’ Guide will enable you understand the services and support available to you to help you to reach your goals.

What to expect from our service

From age 16 you will be allocated a Young Person’s Advisor (YPA) to work with you to ensure you receive the support you need.  Your YPA will work alongside your children’s social worker until you reach 18. At 18, your YPA will continue to support you up to the age of 25 if needed.

We will provide:

  • An assessment of your needs to ensure the correct services are available to you
  • A personalised ‘Pathway Plan’ which details the support you will need to help you plan your future and achieve your goals
  • Financial advice and guidance - (see Care Leavers’ Financial Guide) for further information
  • Accommodation until you are 18 and housing advice regarding your options after that
  • Education, training and employment advice and support
  • A health passport as well supporting you with health and wellbeing issues
  • Advice on opportunities for social activities

We will also keep in touch with you on a regular basis (minimum of every 8 weeks). You can also come along to our weekly care leavers’ drop-in sessions. Sessions take place Every Wednesday 12.00pm – 4.00pm in Dudley town centre. For further information about these sessions please speak to your YPA.

Get involved

If you are 16+, leaving care in Dudley and want to have your say in the way services are provided get in touch with the Care Leavers Forum.

  • If you are a care leaver you can contact your Young Person's Advisor (YPA):

    Contact us