Skip to main content

Flooded and waterlogged roads result when the amount of water arriving on the road is greater than the capacity of the drainage facilities that take it away.

Exceptional rainfall, a road being in a low lying area, changes in 'run off' from adjacent fields and rivers overflowing are some situations that can lead to the road flooding or being waterlogged even when drains are in good working order. Material carried into the drains by floods can also lead to them becoming blocked. Drainage grills and gratings (e.g. on gullies) can become blocked very quickly when materials like mud are deposited on the road or when there is a heavy fall of leaves. If a flooded road is caused by a ruptured water main then the water company will be responsible for repairing the damage.

Water is directed to drains by the road profile. Puddles (ponding) tend to occur if there is a depression in the road. This can be rectified where necessary by local patching of the road surface.

Report flooding on the public highway or reporting blocked road gullies or gratings

Dudley Council is responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of street drains and gullies that are on the public highway. These are the slotted grates along the kerbside, which take rainwater away.

Please be aware that office hours are 8:30 – 16:45 Monday to Thursday and 08:30 – 16:15 on Fridays (closed on bank holidays). Contact will not be monitored outside of these times. If the issue that you are raising requires immediate attention please do not complete the form but telephone the Council’s emergency number on 0300 555 8283.

Flooding from Public Sewers

A Public Sewer is a sewer adopted and maintained by Severn Trent Water Limited. Such sewers are normally larger diameter and found under the highway, but can be anywhere. The Council and Severn Trent Water Ltd. hold copies of the Public Sewer Maps showing the locations of most public sewers. If a sewer is not shown on the Public Sewer Map it will be assumed private unless you can prove otherwise. Further information is available as follows:

Flooding from Sewers or Drains

Telephone Severn Trent Water Ltd on 0800 783 4444

Flooding from a Burst Water Main

The water company to whom you pay your water rates are responsible for their supply up to and including the water stopcock. Please check your bill and contact either Severn Trent Water Ltd 0800 783 4444 or South Staffs Water 0800 389 1011

Flooding from a Water Service Pipe or Internal Pipe work

This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber (see "Yellow Pages" or similar directories).

Flooding from a Main River

The main rivers are the responsibility of the Environment Agency. The route and extent of these Main Rivers within the Borough can be accurately determined from plans held by the Environment Agency. In addition, the Agency provide a "Floodline", which is a 24 hour advice and information service for floods and flood warning on 0845 988 1188.

Flooding from Watercourses, other than Main Rivers

Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian land owners. You are a riparian owner if a local watercourse runs through or forms the boundary of your property. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and the Council can serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions.

Contact Details

  • Name Dudley Council Plus
  • Address 259 Castle Street, Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 1LQ
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345
  • Out of Hours Telephone If you are reporting an emergency, use 0300 555 2345. If this service is closed, a recorded message will advise what you should do.
  • Opening Hours Open weekdays 8:30am to 5:00pm, Saturdays 9:00am to 12:00noon