Skip to main content

Household Support Fund

Due to predicted high demand, applications for the Household Support Fund have now closed. Further support can be found on our Cost of Living and Household Support pages

If you are living in privately rented accommodation the law protects you against harassment and illegal eviction. Both of these acts are criminal offences and victims are able to claim damages, through the civil court.

The law makes it an offence for a landlord to:

  • Commit acts likely to interfere with the peace or comfort of a tenant or anyone living with them.
  • Persistently withdraw or withhold services for which the tenant has a reasonable need to live in the premises as a home.
  • Make a tenant leave their home, or stop using part of it.
  • Do anything that stops a tenant doing the things they could normally expect to do.
  • Take someone's home away from them without following the legal process.

If you are threatened with Physical Violence, then you should contact the POLICE.

If you believe you are experiencing harassment or illegal eviction, please contact us.  Alternatively you can seek advice from Shelter or your solicitor.