Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Naming of new streets and numbering of properties

We are responsible for the naming and numbering of new streets, and the changing / reallocation of individual property addresses. We provide the definitive source of address information and supply new property addresses and street names. This function is carried out in accordance with the Public Health Act 1925 (sections 17-19).

Naming of new streets

Naming of new streets is carried out under Section 17 Public Health Act 1925

When a new housing development is built, the responsibility for naming new streets rests with the Council who have an approved policy for road naming which is:

  • The name(s) will have a proven historical connection to the land intended for development.

  • It will not be a living persons name nor a deceased person unless there is a historical connection to the land intended for development.

  • The names will not be the same or similar to any existing names in the borough

  • If the development contains a new network of streets a theme may be chosen.

  • If no suitable historical name can be found to the land then adjacent area may be utilised.

Suggestions for road names may be submitted by the developer for consideration.

To prevent new road names which are close to, and may conflict with those in adjoining Boroughs, the Royal Mail will be consulted.

The emergency services prefer this method for naming new roads as they know there is only one road with that name within the Dudley MBC area.

Developers or interested parties wishing to consult the Council with suggestions for road names should contact us through the information provided below.

Postal numbering

Postal numbering is carried out under Section 64 of the Towns Improvement Clauses Act 1847

The Council is responsible for the numbering of new properties. Numbers are allocated to enable easy and rapid location of buildings by both routine and emergency callers, on the following basis:

  • A house number is the preferred option but where this is not practical house names are issued.

  • Where properties have a name and no number the Council does have the power to create numbering schemes and make residents use house numbers. However this power is not used very often.

  • Emergency services prefer a numbering system.

  • Any change of number / name of a property can only be authorised by the Council.

  • Royal Mail and all statutory undertakers i.e. Electricity, Gas, Water and Telephone together with the Emergency Services, Land Registry, Electoral Registration, and the Council Tax Section are then advised of the new addresses.

For further information please contact us through the information provided below. (Please enclose a location plan to enable identification of your property).

Building numbers

Numbering is carried out in many different ways but the most popular are:

  • As you enter a development - odds on left, evens on right

  • If small development, they can be numbered consecutively e.g. 1- 8.

  • If one or more dwellings are built between two others usually a suffix of "a"”b” “c” etc. is added to the number

  • Blocks of flats and apartments may be given a NAME with each dwelling

  • Numbered consecutively

    Short cul-de-sac usually have consecutive numbering whilst through roads and longer cul-de-sac have an odds and evens scheme ascending away from the town centre.

House names

The allocation of a house name may be permitted but where a numbering scheme is in place it would be an addition to that number and not a replacement. In such cases there is a requirement to request authorisation from the Council. Please note that the original number should always be displayed on the property, and quoted within your address on all correspondence, for example:

Rose Cottage
2 The High Street
Post code

When considering a name for your property contact the council to find out if the preferred name is already in use in the immediate area.

Post code allocation

Royal Mail are the sole providers of postcode information and Dudley Council do not have the ability to change or alter your postcode unless asked to do so by the Royal Mail.

When a new address has been created the Council informs the Royal Mail Address Development Centre who will allocate the new postcode. They will not issue postcodes for new properties unless requested to do so by the Local Authority. In addition, Royal Mail do not have the ability to change or alter your official address unless asked to do so by the Local Authority.

For further enquires regarding postcodes you can contact the Royal Mail postcode enquiry line on 08457 111222.

For enquires regarding missed collections or delivery problems you can telephone the Royal Mail customer help line on 08457 740740.

In the case of developments in existing roads where no new street name is required, or in existing roads where there are no street numbers, the owner in consultation with the council may be allowed to choose the house name.

To check on a post code either telephone 01743 277249 or visit the Royal Mail web page

Dispatch of information

Beyond the house builder or occupier of property we have a list of interested parties who need address information. This includes not just other areas of the Council but the emergency services, statutory undertakers, and utility companies. These people receive a list of new and amended postal addresses when ever issued.

Renaming and renumbering existing streets

On extremely rare occasions, it may be necessary to rename or renumber an existing street. This is only ever done as a last resort in cases such as:

  • Confusion over a street name
  • A road is subject to a stopping up order
  • New properties are built on the street and there is a need for existing properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new builds
  • The number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for Emergency Services, postal deliveries etc

Applications for changing existing street names which do not fall into the above categories will not be acknowledged.

National land and property gazetteer

The Council maintains a Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG). This is the definitive source of address information within the Council and forms a part of the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG).

The NLPG is a national project which is a single property database of every single parcel of land or property within the country.

Street name plates and door numbers

It is a legal requirement under the Public Health Act 1925 that there is adequate signage erected in a clear, prominent position in relation to the builds showing any street names and sub names (for terrace or block names).

Any number and/or property name that is associated with identifying individual properties must also be displayed in a clear, prominent position that can be read from the roadside. On new developments, it is the developers’ responsibility to erect the appropriate signage once the builds are ready for occupation.

Report a problem

If you wish to report a problem with a missing or damaged street name plate please use our online form below.

External Links

  • Traffic & Transportation, Economic Regeneration and Transportation, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY1 1HL

    Telephone 01384 815424

    Contact us - Traffic and transportation

  • Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm. Please note that the offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays