Is your journey, by car or on foot, absolutely essential?
Drive carefully in freezing weather. Check the conditions before you leave and take heed of police or weather warnings.
Remember, when you are driving, that we do not precautionary salt every road! In heavy snow please be patient.
Be particularly careful when out walking in freezing conditions.
Don’t leave vehicles where they will obstruct the free passage of maintenance vehicles.
Remember – not all roads are treated prior to frost, therefore, even though many roads may appear clear on cold and frost mornings due to our overnight salting programme, others will hold hidden dangers. So take extra care at all times when driving in wintry conditions.
In winter it is even more important to check that your vehicle is well maintained and serviced, consequently:
- Ensure your lights and mirrors are clean and free from ice and snow before you set off and that they remain so throughout your journey.
- Keep your battery fully charged.
- Add anti-freeze to the radiator and winter additive to the wind screen washer bottles
- Make sure your wipers are in good condition.
- Check tyres have plenty of tread depth and are maintained at the correct pressure.
- Hail, rain and heavy snow reduce visibility, use dipped headlights and reduce your speed.
- It can take ten times longer to stop in icy conditions than on a dry road, so please drive slowly, allowing extra room to slow down and stop.
- Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin.
- Manoeuvre gently, avoiding harsh breaking and acceleration.
Our Snowbusters scheme offers free Snowbusters packs to anyone happy to help neighbours, or local communities to clear paths, walkways or drives of snow and ice during wintry weather. The packs contain a snow shovel, high visibility jacket, five litre bag of salt and a salt spreader. There is also guidance on snow clearing and manual handling. They are available to anyone living in Dudley Borough who is happy to help their local neighbours or community with snow and ice clearing during the winter months. Simply call the council’s Winter Warmth helpline on 01384 817086 to request a pack.