Skip to main content

Building or demolition works can cause problems for neighbours of the site. You can reduce or avoid causing any nuisance to the neighbours, or action being taken by us, if you follow the advice below.

If you intend to demolish a building or part of a building, it's highly probable that you will require various consents from Statutory Bodies i.e Local Authorities, Health & Safety Executive and Statutory Undertakers.

The following relates to the main Local Authority Requirements.

  • You must serve a notice (referred to as a Section 80 Notice) on the Building Control Section before you commence demolition. This should accurately identify the building(s) that you intend to demolish (highlighted on an Ordnance Survey plan if possible) and include any other relevant information i.e. name, address and contact number of owners, demolition contractors and other interested parties. You must also serve notice on the occupiers of any adjacent buildings and all the Statutory Undertakers.

  • The Local Authority have a maximum period of 6 weeks to reply to your Section 80 Notice. In reality we will endeavour to reply within 5 working days. We will issue a counter-notice (referred to as a Section 81 Notice) which will include conditions, relating to the demolition, to which you must comply. You must not commence demolition until you have received the counter-notice.

  • In addition to the above Notice under the Building Act 1984, other legislation may be applicable to your demolition e.g. Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended), Conservation (Natural Habitats &c) Regulations 1994 and the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended). You are therefore advised to ensure you have all necessary permissions BEFORE demolition occurs."

Contact Us

Telephone: 01384 814136 (Office hours).

Building Control
Regeneration and Enterprise
Council House
Priory Road
West Midlands

Find us on Google Maps