Skip to main content

You do not always need to make a planning application if you are looking to alter or improve your home. We offer two levels of service depending on what it is you are looking for.

  1. Lawful Development Certificates

  2. Do I need Planning Permission? self service flow charts (pdf below)

Planning Portal Guidance

The Planning Portal provides general guidance about the kinds of work for which you need to apply for planning permission on its 'Permission Needed?' webpage.

The Planning Portal offers guidance and information for anyone wanting to find out more about the planning system in England and Wales. You can also take advantage of useful self-help tools to assist in assessing whether Planning Permission is required for your proposed development. 

In addition a Guide to the Planning process is available.  This is a brief introduction to the planning system and an explanation of what planning is for, why it's important, why planning controls are necessary and how decisions are made.

A binding answer

If the work/development has already taken place the only way to know for sure if the work required permission is to apply for a Certificates of Lawful Use or Development. These applications are popular when you come to sell your home several years after perhaps converting a garage, building a conservatory but you hadn't checked if permission was required at the time.

If you haven't yet started work and need to know for sure that permission is not required you are advised to make a Certificate of Lawfulness (Proposed) application.

In either case you can apply online or download the forms and post them to us, along with the relevant fee.

Contact Us

Telephone: 01384 814136

Regeneration and Enterprise
Council House
Priory Road
West Midlands

Find us on Google Maps