Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Legally a death must be registered within 5 days in the Registration District where the death actually occurred. If the death is referred to the Coroner this may be extended.

Important - You will need to make an appointment to register a death, as soon as you have, or know when you can collect, the medical certificate of cause of death from the relevant doctor.

To book an appointment please telephone Dudley Council Plus 0300 555 2345. Lines open 08:30 – 17:00 weekdays and 09:00 – 12:00 Saturdays.

We are working to make on-line appointment booking available very soon.

If the person who is legally required to register the death is unable to attend the relevant Register Office, they can register the death by declaration at another, more convenient, Register Office. This means they would give the relevant information to that Registrar who would then post it to the Registrar in the district where the death occurred to be entered into the register. Persons choosing to do this must understand that the posting of the documents to the registering Registrar may delay the funeral arrangements. We will also send you form 344 for social security purposes and any death certificates requested.

If the death occurred within Dudley borough, you can register at either Dudley Council Plus, Dudley Register Office or Stourbridge Registration Office. If you are not sure in which district the death occurred, please contact us for advice.

Who can register a death

It is best if a relative of the person who has died registers the death. If there are no relatives, other people can register the death. Those people may include someone present at the death, a senior administrator of the establishment in which the death happened, or the person instructing the funeral director.

You should allow about 30 minutes to register the death. However, in some cases the registration may take longer. The registrar will need the following information.

  • The medical certificate of cause of death (you must bring this document to the appointment)
  • The date and place of death
  • The full name of the person who has died (and maiden name or any other names used if appropriate).
  • Their place and date of birth.
  • Their occupation.
  • The full names of their spouse if they were married or in a civil partnership.
  • The usual address of the person who has died.
  • Whether they received a pension from public funds.
  • If they were married or in a civil partnership, the date of birth of their spouse/civil partner.
  • You should give the National Health Service number of the person who has died, if know, or the medical card itself, if available, to the registrar. (Please do not delay registering the death if you do not have the medical card.)

Death certificates

A death certificate is a certified copy of the entry of death in the register.

You may need these for banks, building societies, solicitors or for pension claims and some insurance claims. You may want to ask for several copies of the death certificate at the time of registration as the price increases if you need one at a later date.

Certificates purchased at the time of the registration are £11 each.

Tell us once

When you make an appointment to register a death this will include the DWP tell us once service. The service means that when you register a death we will tell all government agencies and council departments that need to know, on your behalf, saving you time, stress and effort. It takes a few extra minutes at the end of your registration appointment.

To use the tell us once service, you will need to bring a little extra information to your appointment to register the death. You will need to bring along:

  • Details of any benefits or services the deceased was receiving
  • The deceased's driving licence
  • The deceased's passport
  • The deceased's 'blue' badge
  • The name, address and telephone number of the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased), as well as their national insurance number and/or date of birth (this is because their entitlement to benefits may change as a consequence of the death)
  • The national insurance number of the deceased and of any surviving spouse or partner
  • The name and address of the person dealing with the estate (if different)

The verbal permissions of the last three people listed above must be obtained before you provide us with this information about them.

Language problems

If English is not your first language, please feel free to bring a friend or relative with you to help, but the death must be registered by a qualified informant, you cannot ask a friend to attend instead of you.

Death referred to the Coroner

In certain circumstances, legally the death will have to be referred to the Coroner by the doctor or registrar. The Coroner may do one of three things.

  1. He may decide that no action is necessary and let us know.
  2. He may decide to hold a post-mortem examination, in which case they will issue a form 100 instead of the medical certificate.
  3. He may decide to hold an inquest. The Coroner’s Officer we will let you know what to do in these circumstances.

If a death is referred to the Coroner, we cannot make an appointment for the death to be registered until the Coroner has sent the necessary paperwork to the register office.

Repatriate a body from abroad

When a relative has died abroad (while staying/living there/on holiday) and you want them to be buried or cremated here:

Firstly the Coroner for this district has to be informed. This is absolutely essential.

If this has not been done please refer to the Coroner as the death must be cleared by him.

Once the Coroner has cleared the death you can obtain a Certificate of No Liability to Register ONLY from a Registrar for the District where the body is to be buried/cremated, on production of all related paperwork (death certificate etc.)

Repatriate body abroad

If you wish to register a death, but the body is to be taken abroad for burial/cremation -

You must contact the Coroner to give NOTICE and obtain the necessary form 104 (REV) for removing the body from England.

You must register the death at the Register Office for the District where the death occurred in the usual way and inform the Registrar that the Coroner has authorised the removal of the body from England.

Remove a body out of England or Wales

There is no restriction on moving bodies within England and Wales, but you need to notify the Coroner for the district in which the body is lying if you want to move the body of the deceased to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Island, or overseas.

Arrange a civil funeral

A civil funeral ceremony is, above all, a ceremony that reflects the wishes of the family and is focused on celebrating the life of the deceased. It is both a dignified tribute and a highly personal memoir, created by a professional celebrant in consultation with the family or executor. Experienced celebrants from Dudley register office can help you to arrange a civil funeral.

Further advice

When someone close to you dies, there are many decisions and arrangements you will have to make, often at a time of personal distress.  Gov.UK what to do after a death gives help and guidance about what to do when someone dies.


Registrars General Contact Form

Telephone 01384 815373. Please note our lines are quieter in the afternoons.