We have a number of 11 a-side, mini soccer and junior (9v9) football pitches available for hire at various parks and open spaces around the borough; some sites have changing room facilities. Our pitches are available to hire on both a seasonal and a casual basis.
Bookings are taken to cover a full football season, for alternate weeks (home matches) running from mid-August through to mid-May.
If you wish to book a pitch for the season, please use our online Football Pitch Booking form. Please read the agreement of hire conditions and also the terms and conditions relating to the hiring of football pitches before completing the form.
We do not accept phone bookings. Please allow at least one week before following up on a booking application.
Please contact us should you have any requests other than full season bookings. Please note that priority will be given to existing bookings.
On rare occasions we can accommodate casual matches at certain pitches. To request a casual booking please contact us with the following information:
- name of team
- venue required
- start time of match
- whether or not you require changing rooms (where available)
Bookings are confirmed once payment has been made. Games are not permitted to take place unless they are pre-booked.
Full details can be found in Football Pitch Fees.
Cancellation of a booking
- An administration fee may be payable if any booking is cancelled.
- The cancellation fee will apply to seasonal bookings, if the booking is cancelled prior to payment of the 1st instalment of pitch fees.
- The cancellation fee will apply to casual bookings once the payment has been received.
- Where a football organisation has pre-booked a facility and the facility cannot be delivered by the Council, we reserve the rights to find an alternative facility. However, this does not apply to facilities or services that have been damaged. Where the Council is unable to identify an alternative venue we reserve the right for any reimbursements or refunds.
Allocation of pitches
- The allocation of a football pitch to a team or league by the Council is for a specific day and time (i.e. Sunday morning) and does not entitle the team or league to use the facilities (i.e. pitch or changing room and showers) at any other time.
- Midweek games are only allowed when fixed as an alternative date for an earlier postponed game and when permission has been granted by the authority.
- No team or league shall allow practice games to take place mid-week, otherwise full reinstatement costs will be levied. Any team or league who continually disregard this ruling will be notified in writing on three occasions to cease, failure to comply will result in the removal of all facilities allocated.
Football in Leisure Centres
The Leisure Centres have a number of pitches and courts available for hire for different sports including football.
All weather pitches
Sports halls at Duncan Edwards and Crystal leisure centres can be used for indoor football. The DBLeisure website has more information, including how to book.
The Dell Stadium has a floodlit 3G football pitch, grass floodlit pitch with stadia seating, and a full size caged grass pitch available to hire. Please contact them directly to book.
We will provide goalposts for full-size pitches prior to the start of the season; these will then be removed at the end of the season to allow for pitch reinstatement work.
Goal posts for mini soccer and the 9v9 pitches must be supplied by the teams or leagues themselves.
Nets and corner flags are not provided.
- We will make every attempt to mark all football pitches.
- No guarantee of line markings quality in adverse weather conditions is given.
- Further markings will be the responsibility of the league or club.
Report a problem with a pitch
Teams should report any defects, damage or otherwise, which is considered a complaint of the service directly to their leagues by telephone before midday on Monday. This should then be confirmed in writing, to the League Secretary within three working days giving the following details: Name of team, nature of complaint, date and time of the incident.
The team or league secretary, on receipt of such complaints, must then notify the Council using the contact details below giving full details.
If you would like to report a problem with any aspect of the maintenance of a pitch, please contact us
Please see Grounds Maintenance for further information.
Frequently asked questions
How do I pay for an outdoor sports pitch?
Payment for seasonal bookings of the full size pitches may be in two equal instalments. The first half season payment (50% of the total fees) will be due for payment by early October, the second half season payment will be due January, alternatively 8 instalments can be made via direct debit. Payment for mini-soccer pitches must be made in full during October.
Where are the football pitches and facilities?
Facilities are available at only some of the venues for changing and showering.