Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Dudley council is responsible for the grounds maintenance operations on council-owned land within the borough. We aim to keep our parks and green spaces looking good all year round.

We look after the grounds maintenance of parks, open spaces, council housing estates – communal areas, highway verges and traffic islands, schools, playing fields and sports pitches, cemeteries and crematoria and children's play areas to name a few. We also manage Dudley’s stock of Council owned trees.  


Operation Time of Year Annual Frequency
Winter Clean Out Remove litter and Rubbish November - February 1
Spot treat weeds with herbicide April, May, June, August & September 5
Pruning (when required) November - February 1
Rose bed Maintenance:    
Fork over beds March & October 2
Prune roses March & October 2
Spot treat weeds with herbicide April May, June, August & September 5
Remove dead flower heads and suckers June, July, August & September 4

Grass cutting

The majority of grass cutting operations will normally take place on a fortnightly basis commencing in April and finishing in October. Due to recent years ‘mild winters’ have started grass cutting earlier than guidelines stated in order to improve our service.

To provide the best service in a cost effective way different machinery may be used dependant upon the nature of the area to be cut.

Area Maintained Machinery used Annual frequency
Ornamental areas Cylinder mowers with grass box to collect cuttings 30
Grassed areas Pedestrian,ride on and tractor cylinder mowers 14, 14 and 14
Grass banks Hover (Flymo) type mowers 14
Rough areas Flail movers, strimmers, rotary mower to remove seed heads (bents) 13, 5
Grass edges
Grass edges Time of year Annual frequency
Edge grass perimeters & obstacles in grass areas with herbicide March and July 2
Edge & clean out channels to grass areas and treat with herbicide March and July 2
Clip grass edges (ornamental areas only) April to October Monthly / 7

Grass cutting may be suspended in times of drought, chemical applications require certain climatic conditions for their effectiveness and in order to comply with the Control of Pesticides Act 1986.

Hedge cutting

Most roadside hedges are the responsibility of the landowner. If we notice overhanging hedges during a routine inspection, or receive a complaint, we will ask the landowner to cut them back.  However, we do maintain some hedges on highway land and will cut them as necessary.

Hedge cutting times will normally be: 

Type of hedge Time of year Annual frequency
Privet July and September 2
Mixed July 1
Berberis July 1
Hawthorn July 1
Other July 1

How can you help us: 

  • let us know about any junction where the view is blocked by long grass or overgrown hedges
  • don't park on grass verges
  • don't put decorative stones or logs on verges as these can be dangerous
  • maintain your own hedges safely and responsibly

Verge cutting

Highway verges in Dudley are cut for amenity and road safety purposes, to maintain visibility at junctions and to provide a refuge for pedestrians.

Urban verges are mown approximately 14 times a year between April and October along with the other areas of council grass. This frequency has been set so that the grass is kept to an acceptable length while being cost effective.

Rural verges, where we have them, are cut with a tractor mounted flail once or twice per year. Cuts to visibility areas at junctions and the inside of bends are usually prioritised. Cutting commences with the visibility areas in May or June. If we have the capability to carry out a second cut this would be done later in the season usually September. 

The tractor flail has a tearing / chopping action rather than a scissor cutting action like on cylinder mowers. This coupled with the fact that the grass being cut is long and often mixed with flowers and weeds will result in a different look to grass which is cut weekly or fortnightly. Verges that are uneven can sometimes be scalped down to the soil. However such damage to the verges will quickly recover.

When we cut the verges we aim to avoid chopping up litter and leaving clumps of grass cuttings on surrounding paths. Sometimes, especially in wet weather, it is unavoidable not to get grass on paths. Where this happens we will do our best to remove it speedily.

Our urban verges are also treated with a contact herbicide around the edge of the verge twice a year (in March / April and June / July) to keep the grass edges in check. We also carry out a cut with rotary mowers or strimmers in mid summer to remove stalky seed heads and “fringes” on and around the verges.

Japanese Knotweed

Japanese Knotweed is a serious threat to natural habitats.  Find out more about Japanese Knotweed, control and disposal.

Further information

If I am not satisfied with the service I have received, how do I make a complaint?

If you are unhappy with the service you have received in any aspect of our operations, please contact us to help sort out the problem for you. 

We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Why are grass clippings not removed?

The clippings are relatively short and mulch down quickly which slows down regrowth. Raking up, loading, transporting and getting rid of them would increase the cost substantially.

Is it ok to cut the grass verge outside my house?

We know that some people like to cut the grass near their home more often than we do. You should be aware of the possible risk of injury to yourself, passing pedestrians and traffic.

Private contractors

If you need someone to undertake gardening or tree work on your own private property, you will need to contact one of the local lawn-mowing or tree services. The Yellow Pages is the best place to start looking but try to ensure that you use fully insured contractors.

Work programme

Our work is issued on a four weekly programme and the Area Managers and Supervisors have the freedom to plan their own work within each period. For example; litter collection issued on a four weekly basis may not be undertaken during the first week of each period. However, regular tasks should be undertaken on an evenly spaced frequency wherever possible or practicable.

Please be aware that this is a guide only, as horticultural activities are often dependent upon weather conditions and as such may vary from the times specified.

High hedges

Provided you have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving your hedge dispute, you are able to take your complaint about a neighbour's evergreen hedge to your local authority. High Hedges.