Skip to main content

Energy Bills rebate

More information on the £150 energy bills rebate

Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

If you or someone in your household is being treated for a medical condition, the waste produced may be considered clinical waste and could be hazardous.

How do I arrange a clinical waste and sharps collection?

You will need to complete a Clinical/Medical Waste Assessment Form which asks questions about the type and quantity of clinical waste you produce. It must be verified by a healthcare professional such as your GP or community nurse. We may also visit you to ensure the service we provide meets your needs.

You can download the above form or if you prefer you can ring 01384 814768 and we will post it to you. Please complete the form and send it to:

Submit your Form

Or post your form to:

Waste Care, Environmental Services, Lister Road Depot, Lister Road, Dudley, West Midlands, DY2 8JW

Once we have received your completed form, we will contact you to let you know when your clinical waste collection will start.

Sharps collection

Once you have registered you will only need to contact us when you have a full sharps box ready for collection.

How do I report a missed collection?

You can report a missed clinical waste collection by calling 01384 814768 or by emailing

Please note two consecutive failed collections may result in the service being suspended.

What is Clinical Waste?

Clinical waste refers to any waste that consists wholly or partly of:

  • human or animal tissue
  • blood or other bodily fluids
  • excretions
  • drugs or other pharmaceutical products
  • swabs or dressings
  • syringes, needles or other sharp instruments which, unless rendered safe, may prove hazardous to any person coming into contact with it

Clinical waste also refers to any other waste arising from medical, nursing, dental, veterinary, pharmaceutical or similar practice, investigation, treatment, teaching or research.

Unless made safe, this type of waste may prove hazardous to anyone coming into contact with it.

If you are treated by a healthcare professional

If you are treated in your own home by a community nurse or a member of the NHS profession, any waste produced as a result is considered to be the healthcare professional's waste and they are responsible for its removal and safe disposal.

If the waste is classified as hazardous (such as hypodermic needles, swabs, soiled medical dressings, other items which contain secretions or excretions from a person suffering with an infectious disease), the healthcare professional should remove the waste and transport it in approved containers (for example rigid, leak proof, sealed and secure) for appropriate disposal. This waste should not be thrown away with your usual household waste.

If the waste is non-hazardous , providing it is appropriately bagged and sealed it is acceptable for the waste to be disposed of in your grey wheeled bin. This is usually the case with sanitary towels, nappies and incontinence pads when they originate from a healthy population.

Which bag/sharps container should I use?


Your healthcare professional will advise of the appropriate coloured bag to dispose of your waste.


  • Yellow - Non-infectious waste
  • Orange - Infectious waste
  • Purple - Cytotoxic and cytostatic waste

Disposing of unused medicines

We do not offer a disposal service for pharmaceutical products/medicines. These items should be taken back to the pharmacy.