Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

With few exceptions, Adult Social Care isn’t free. It is means tested, so, if you have income or capital, you may be asked to contribute or pay in full for services. Over 50% of those requiring care and support, in either a Residential or Nursing Home setting or in their own homes, will need to part or fully fund it themselves.

The amount you have to pay towards the cost of your care and support depends on:

  • the type of care and support you need, as identified in your Adult Social Care Assessment, and
  • your personal finances, including your income, capital and any allowances that can be made.

Following assessment, some care and support services remain free, such as some equipment, minor adaptations (i.e. costing less than £1000), advice and information. Reablement may be free but only up to a maximum period of 6 weeks.

Details of our current charges can be found in our schedule of adult social care fees and charges.

Our two information booklets called ‘Arranging and paying for residential and nursing home care’ and ‘Arranging and paying for care and support while living in your home’ provide a whole host of information on paying for care costs.

What is a financial assessment?

For services arranged through Adult Social care, we carry out a financial assessment to work out how much you can afford to contribute towards the cost of your care and support. This looks at your income (including pensions, benefits, annuities, wages, rent from properties and land etc.), and your capital, such as savings, stocks and shares and property.

If you have more than £23,250 in savings or investments then you will have to pay the full cost of your care as a self-funding client.

If you would rather not tell us about your financial circumstances then you do not have to. However, if you decide to do this you will be responsible for the full cost of your care and support as a self-funding client. In this situation we strongly recommend that you seek specialist information and advice before you make any commitments – see our factsheet Independent Financial Advice.

Further details can be found on our help at home and care homes pages and in the factsheets listed below.

Welfare Rights Service

Our Welfare Benefits Officers provide information and support about welfare benefits and payment of contributions to people who have had a social care assessment.  Find out more about the welfare rights service

Contact Details

Access Team 0300 555 0055