Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Dudley Special Educational Needs & Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

We provide a range of information, legally based advice and support to help parents/carers, children and young people on all matters relating to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). We are here to help you make informed choices and enable parents/carers to play an active role in their child's education.

We offer free, confidential and impartial support to children and young people aged 0-25 years old with SEND and their parents and carers.

Information regarding SEND inspection please see 'Information SEND Inspection' drop-down tab below.

Dudley SENDIASS Helpline: 01384 817373 


IMPORTANT UPDATE during Coronavirus, for parents with children with SEND and young people.  We are continuing to operate the service, we are able to offer information, advice and support however in line with Government advice.  Please make contact either by email or by contacting our office mobiles 07824 543233 or 07900 161363

Who is the service for?

  • Parents of children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities
  • Children with SEND
  • Young people up to 25 years of age with SEN or disabilities

Many children will access information, advice and support via their parents, but older children/ young people may want to access the service separately from their parents.  They can also access our service and will receive confidential and impartial, information and support that will allow them to participate fully in decisions.

We can also work separately and impartially with both the parents and the young person, where there is a disagreement on an issue related to SEND.

What do we do?

We provide free, accurate, impartial, confidential, information, advice and support relating to special educational needs (SEN), disability and related health and social care issues. This covers:

  • Education law on SEN and related law on disability, health and social care
  • Support to understand and interpret information relating to Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
  • Initial concerns related to potential SEN or disabilities
  • Advice on the SEND provision available in education settings for children and young people who do not have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) in place
  • Support to request an EHCP and understanding the process
  • Personalisation and managing a Personal Budget
  • Support relating to disagreement resolution and managing mediation
  • Help in understanding the SEND Tribunal appeal process
  • Complaints relating to SEND including those relating to health and social care
  • Exclusions relating to SEND
  • Local policy and practice
  • The local offer
  • Parent carer support groups, local SEN youth forums, local disability groups and training events
  • Signposting to additional support services both locally and nationally where needed, including those provided by the voluntary sector
  • Access to regular free information workshops/events on matters relating to SEN and disability
  • A range of information leaflets. Available in a range of community languages and different formats on request

We regularly work with nursery, primary and secondary schools, academies and post 16 settings, to promote positive engagement with parents, children and young people.

How do I refer or access the service?

  • A parent/carer can make a referral for this service
  • You can also make a self-referral
  • Referrals can be made via email, or by calling Dudley SENDIASS helpline 01384 817373
  • The telephone helpline is available 24 hours a day.
  • Business hours are 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.  Please note - staff may be off-site in meetings with service users during these times.  We request that you leave a message on our helpline number and we will return your call.


Young Persons Information Hub

Young Persons Case Officer

If you are a young person aged between 16 and 25, with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability you have the right to contact SENDIASS separate from your families or carers. You will get access to a Young Person’s Case Officer who will be able to:

  • Provide legally based information around SEND, be it education, health or social care.
  • Signpost you to appropriate agencies if necessary
  • Explain what type of support a school or college may offer you
  • Support and advise you around the education, health and care needs assessment process and documentation
  • Advise you on complaints around SEND issues and the appeal process around the EHCP
  • Help in understanding mediation
  • Personal budgets
  • Dudley’s Local Offer and how we can use it to help find the support
  • Information around mental capacity and making decisions
  • Advocacy

To contact our young persons case officer call our helpline on 01384 817373.  The helpline is available 24 hours a day.

Access our Young Persons Information Hub

Casework Support

Our service offers individual casework support including:

  • Advice on gathering, understanding and interpreting information and applying it to your own situation.
  • Support when a child or young person with a special educational need or disability needs extra help in an educational setting and no Education Health Care Plan is in place.
  • Support in attending meetings, writing letters, contributing to assessments and reviews and participating in decisions about outcomes for a child or young person.
  • Help when things go wrong. Advice and support on resolving disagreements and managing complaints related to SEN and disability.
  • Advice and support to help promote independence and self advocacy for children, young people and parents.
  • Supporting young people to participate fully in decisions about the outcomes they wish to achieve.
  • Advice and support in relation to an Education Health Care Plan, which may include attending meetings or future reviews.
  • Support from an Independent Supporter, to help during the EHC assessment and the process of developing an EHC Plan, may be available to families and/or young people who request it.

Information Leaflets for Parents, Children & Young People

Dudley SENDIASS has prepared a series of leaflets for parents, children and young people. These are also available in community languages.

Workshops and Events

We organise a range of workshops and events to help parents, carers and young people develop their knowledge and understanding of special educational needs and disability issues.

View our programme of workshops and events 


Information SEND Inspection

Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) carried out a Joint Local Area Inspection of Special Educational Needs & Disability between Monday 20 May and Friday 24 May 2019.

The findings are enclosed in the attached report:

 Dudley local area SEND inspection



COVID-19 Resources

  • Visit for guidance on vulnerable children and young people regarding COVID-19.
  • Visit Council for Disabled Children for a list of resources and guidance about COVID-19.
  • Visit for an update for parents and young people - The Government has issued guidance relating to temporary changes to education, health and care legislation following the COVID-19 outbreak.

Further information is available from the The Information, Advice and Support Service Network (IASS Network) website.  You will also find useful resources providing information relating to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0-25 years

Useful websites