Skip to main content

H Bar road markings for dropped kerbs

H bar markings are an advisory road marking placed on the road where a kerb has been dropped

The marking is to inform drivers that the access should be kept clear.

Parking very close to a dropped kerb or opposite is not illegal even if it restricts or impedes access. Unfortunately we cannot deal with these cases.

H bar markings are not intended to resolve neighbour disputes as they have no formal status in law. The markings are often used near schools, offices and shops or any premises which attract drivers from a wider area. H bar markings are not normally considered for areas which are mainly residential.

There is a charge is for this service

More information

What is a 'H' Bar road marking?

It is a road marking, shaped like an elongated H that is placed across a vehicular access or driveway. It is used to remind drivers that it is illegal to park in front of dropped kerb vehicular access points.

  • Please note that this does not mean that all dropped kerb driveways are eligible to be highlighted with an advisory white H line.

How long can the marking be?

The marking is only intended to define the width of the driveway, and are normally marked between the top of each drop kerb either side of the driveway.

Can I use the 'H' bar to reserve a parking space for my own vehicle?

The marking is provided solely to highlight the presence of a driveway. If you park your own vehicle there, it devalues the meaning of the marking, and shows to other drivers that you do not need access to the driveway. H bars which are continually parked over by the resident could be removed.

Can they be legally enforced?

'H' bars are a nationally recognised marking. They give West Midlands Police additional evidence to allow them to issue a fixed penalty notice for obstruction.

Please note that for enforcement the presence of a white H bar is not necessary. The law is being broken every time parking takes place across any dropped kerb driveway.

The enforcement of obstruction of dropped kerb access remains with the Police. Dudley's own Parking Attendants do not have the power to issue penalty notices for obstruction.

Who can apply for one?

Residents who live next to a building or leisure facility open to the public. A dropped kerb must be in place and the marking cannot conflict with other road markings or be within 15 metres of Traffic Lights.

If the dropped kerb extends across two vehicular entrances, consent from the neighbours is required

Markings will not be provided on the opposite side of the road or outside another resident’s property.

To apply for a white H bar, please contact us using the details below.

How much will it cost?

A fee is associated with an advisory white H bar. The applicant is responsible for the full cost of the application.

Can an existing 'H' bar road marking be extended?

An extension to an existing H bar can only be made where the dropped kerb has been widened. The cost for such an extension will be applied to all applicants.

Contact us

Dudley Council Plus
259 Castle Street

Opening Hours: 
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm
Saturday, 9am - 12 noon

Closed on weekends and bank holidays.