Skip to main content

Household support fund

This scheme is to help if you are struggling to pay your bills due to the cost of living increases - Household support fund application.

Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Dudley Council has a policy to remove unauthorised signs or other marks on the highway and those affixed to items of street furniture in accordance with Section 132 of the Highways Act. Discretion is exercised with regards to displays and goods outside local shops, and with local fetes and charitable events, but if the sign obstructs the pavement or cycleway and results in a significant hazard to pedestrians, or interferes with visibility for vehicles, it will be removed.

When is a sign illegal?

Signs are deemed to be illegal if they are erected without lawful authority or excuse. Offenders are liable, upon conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000.

Unauthorised signs, displayed goods and other items outside shops

Under Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980 any interference with public passage is technically an illegal obstruction of the highway. Action will be taken to remove unauthorised signs, displayed goods and other items when a footway or pedestrian area is obstructed to the extent that :

  • Pedestrians are inconvenienced or;
  • They extend more than 450mm from the shop frontage;
  • They interfere with the visibility or motorists;
  • Pedestrians are forced into the road, either directly or because of the number of pedestrians;
  • There is a significant hazard to pedestrians.

Each source of complaint will be investigated by an officer from the Street Maintenance Section who will assess the extent of the obstruction and decide upon what course of action, if any, is required. 

Other Unauthorised Signs and Posters

Generally, all other unauthorised signs and posters situated within the highway will be removed.

Signs that are removed are stored for 14 days and are available for collection on payment of a the appropriate fee. Persistent offenders will be prosecuted.

Report an illegal sign

If you see any signs, which have been illegally attached to street furniture such as lamp columns or street railings, please report them to us using the contact details at the bottom of this page.

It is particularly useful if you are able to obtain a registration number of a vehicle being used by the person erecting the signs.

Fee Information