Skip to main content

Household Support Fund

Due to predicted high demand, applications for the Household Support Fund have now closed. Further support can be found on our Cost of Living and Household Support pages

When registering a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death you will be asked to check that the information has all been recorded correctly by the registrar before you sign the register confirming it to be accurate. Once signed a legal record is created that cannot be changed other than by the legal correction process. If afterwards you notice that there is an error in the information recorded, it may be possible to get it corrected, however you will need to pay the statutory correction fee and supply suitable evidence to request a correction.


There are two statutory fees for the consideration of corrections:

  • Corrections that can be witnessed and authorised locally at the register office cost £83

  • Corrections that have to be authorised by the Registrar General cost £99

  • If you want a new certificate showing the corrected details, you will need to pay the statutory certificate fee, currently £12.50 each.

The consideration fee is non-refundable should the correction not be authorised.

Please note that fees can only be paid by card. We will call you to take the payment by telephone when we receive your completed application. Corrections are carried out in line with statute and are generally in the form of a marginal note. The original information remains unchanged and a note in the margin contains the corrected information.

Contact Us

If you want further help and advice on applying to make a correction to a record held in Dudley, email or telephone 01384 815373. Please note our lines are quieter in the afternoons

If the event to be corrected occurred outside the Dudley Borough please contact the register office for that district or the General Register Office for England and Wales.


Telephone: 0300 123 1837

Postal address: General Register Office
GRO Casework Team
PO Box 476