Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

There are over 2200 food businesses supplying food to the people of Dudley. The Council's dedicated team of Environmental Health Officers work to ensure that all food is safe to eat.

Most of the work involves inspecting the food businesses, dealing with any complaints and investigating outbreaks of food-borne illnesses and poisoning. We also sample food and offer advice and information to the public and food businesses.

The food hygiene regulations make it an offence for anyone to sell or process food for sale which is harmful to health. They also place obligations on persons selling food and businesses to ensure that the production and processing of food is carried out in a hygienic manner. Food businesses must be registered with the relevant Local Authority.

An estimated five million people suffer from food poisoning in England and Wales each year. Running a food business means that you have a particular responsibility to protect the health of your customers.

Eating out? Check the hygiene rating

All food businesses in Dudley are given a Food Hygiene Rating after each routine inspection and the results are published on our food hygiene rating scheme page.

Complaints about Food or Premises

If you wish to make a complaint about food that you have purchased, or about standards at a restaurant or takeaway, please see our food complaint page for further information.


All enforcement action is in accordance with government principles. Please see our enforcement pages for more information.

Some offences may not come to our attention for some time and could have been committed many months ago.

A public register of prosecutions is maintained detailing prosecutions and formal cautions issued in the last three years, in accordance with the Environment and Safety Information Act 1988. Please bear in mind that the business may now be trading legitimately, presenting no risk to consumers. If you are in any doubt, please contact us.


Guidance on the control of E Coli 0157

The Food Standards Agency has issued guidance for food businesses to help control the risk of contamination from the food bug E.coli O157.

For more details see our Preventing E-Coli cross-contamination page.

Safer Food Better Business

Safer Food Better Business is a pack designed to help food businesses comply with the legal requirements of food hygiene legislation.

Check out the safer food better business pages.

Registration of a Food Business Establishment

All food business that serve food to the public, whether for profit or not, need to register with the Council. In addition, some manufacturing food business also need to get their business approved by the Council.

Food Poisoning

Food poisoning and food-borne illness are often caught from contaminated food caused by poor hygiene.

If you become ill after eating at a restaurant please make a food complaint to us or see our food poisoning pages for more information.

Contact Details

Or contact us via Dudley Council Plus.