Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) Community Trigger

The Community Trigger is a provision within the Anti-Social Behaviour, Policing and Crime Act 2014 to help people who have had their ASB complaints investigated and closed, but who are experiencing persistent problems.

It provides accountability to ensure agencies such as the council, police and landlords (including housing associations) work together to meet the needs of victims.

The trigger allows residents or victims who have complained to any of these agencies about ASB the opportunity to request a review of their case, if they meet one of the criteria below.

Who can use the Community Trigger?

You can ask for your ASB complaint to be looked at using the Community Trigger scheme if:

  • within the last six months you have raised three anti-social behaviour reports

  • within the last six months you have reported a hate incident because you believed that you or another person was targeted because of race, gender identity, disability, religion, sex or sexual orientation and you believe no action has been taken

  • within the last six months you and four of your neighbours have raised an anti-social behaviour report and you believe no action has been taken

Who can't use the Community Trigger?

The Community Trigger can't be used, if:

  • you are reporting a new case of ASB. You can call Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345 and they will complete an ASB report for you

  • you have already made a formal complaint about the agency who dealt with the complaint and a decision has not yet been reached

  • your complaint is still an active case that hasn’t been concluded

  • you do not wish information about your case to be shared between the other organisations e.g. police, council

How do I apply for my case to be looked at under Community Trigger?

Call Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345 and an advisor will go through and complete the form with you.

If you wish, your representative can make an application on your behalf. Your representative can be anyone you ask to act for you – this may be a member of your family, a councillor or care worker. We will always ensure that your representative has the proper authority to act on your behalf, without your consent we will not be able to proceed with your application.

To complete the form yourself: Anti-Social Behaviour - Community Trigger Online Form

You can also email

Or you can apply in writing to Community Trigger, Dudley Council, The Council House, Priory Road Dudley, West Midlands DY1 1HF

Frequently asked questions

What happens to my application once you receive it?

Your completed form will be sent to the council’s community safety team. They will look at the information you have provided and make some initial enquiries to see whether your application meets the criteria for the Community Trigger.

The team will write to you and let you know what has been decided and give you the name of the case officer who will be your contact.

If your complaint does meet the criteria, it will be referred to a panel who will review all of the evidence related to the case. The panel will then make recommendations to the agencies involved to assist them in trying to resolve the problem.

I made my ASB report to the police and I want my case to be looked at under the Community Trigger. Who do I contact? The council or the police?

It doesn’t matter who you contact to make an application under the Community Trigger, whether you complete the online form yourself, ask Dudley Council Plus to complete it for you or contact the organisation you made the original report of Anti-Social Behaviour to, they will all complete the same form and it will be sent to the council’s community safety team for assessment and response.

How long will it be before I hear about the outcome of my application?

  • Your application will be acknowledged within two working days

  • You will be advised of the outcome within 28 days

If I do not agree with the decision of the panel – can I appeal?

Yes – you will be able to make an appeal if you do not agree with the outcome. When the panel write to you to tell you about their decision they will also give details of how to submit your appeal to the Chair of Dudley Police and Crime Board.

Related Documents

Contact Details

Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345

Email: Community Trigger