Expanded Retail, Hospitality & Leisure Relief and Nursery Discount
Government announced on the 3rd March 2021 that eligible retail, hospitality and leisure businesses in England will continue to be provided with 100% business rates relief from the 1st April 2021 to 30th June 2021, followed by 66% relief until the 31st March 2022, capped (limited) at £2 million per business that were required to be closed on the 5th January 2021 or £105,000 per business for other eligible properties. Ratepayers occupying more than one property will be entitled to the discount for each of their eligible properties, subject to the caps from 1 July 2021. Nurseries will also quality for relief in the same way.
100% Discount (April 2021 to June 2021)
As there were no cap, we awarded 100% discount to businesses that we believed were eligible, requiring them to return a completed declaration form to retain the discount.
If you have not been awarded the discount and feel you are entitled to it, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
66% Discount (July 2021 to March 2022)
Due to the cap restrictions, we have contacted businesses that we feel may be eligible for the 66% discount, inviting them to apply via an on-line portal (see link below).
When applying, ratepayers will be required to provide information (latest bank statement and utility bill) to protect against fraud and abuse of public funds as well as to enable the Government to monitor the requests being made.
Which Businesses are Eligible:
These will include those which are wholly or mainly used as the following for visiting members of the public:
- Shops, such as, florists, bakers, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, jewellers, stationers, off licences, chemists, newsagents, hardware stores, supermarkets, etc.
- Opticians, hair and beauty services, nail bars, tanning shops
- Furnishing shops/display rooms (such as: carpet shops, double glazing, garage doors), petrol stations, garden centres, car/caravan show rooms
- Shoe repairs, dry cleaners, launderettes, domestic appliance repair
- Photo processing, tool hire, car hire
- Travel agents, employment agents, betting shops, casinos, gambling clubs and bingo halls
- Restaurants, takeaways, sandwich shops, coffee shops, pubs and bars
- Cinemas and live music venues, sports grounds and clubs, museums and art galleries, gyms, wellness centres and spas
- Public halls, clubhouses, clubs and institutions
- Hotels, guest and boarding houses
The Council will consider each application based on individual merits and reserves the right to decline or withdraw an award.
The following businesses are not eligible:
- Financial services, such as banks, building societies, bureaux de change, payday lenders, betting shops, pawn brokers, cash points
- Professional services such as estate agents, letting agents, employment agencies, solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/financial advisers, tutors
- Medical services such as dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors and vets
State Aid replaced by Subsidy Control Regulations
State Aid was withdrawn on 1 January 2021. The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules on Subsidy Control now apply. For current information and to see how this may affect your business please see Gov UK website