Skip to main content

Energy Bills rebate

More information on the £150 energy bills rebate

Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

We are committed to keeping our roads free of obstruction and nuisance. We inspect our highways regularly to ensure they are free from obstruction. It's a criminal offence to wilfully obstruct the free passage along a highway.

Report a problem

Please report a highway obstruction to us as soon as you can so we can investigate the incident.

You need to give us details such as:

  • Date
  • Time
  • Location
  • Type of obstruction

To report any obstructions, please use the contact details below.

Once you have reported a problem, we will:

  • keep you updated on the status of your report
  • inspect the area and if needed, we will arrange for the obstruction to be removed.

What we can do

  • Investigate reports of highway obstruction and the people responsible
  • Remove items on the highway that are a nuisance and recover reasonable costs for doing so from the offender
  • Require a person responsible for a tree or bush overhanging the highway, including footways, to trim it

Examples of obstructions on roads and pavements

It's an offence to obstruct the free passage of the highway. Obstructions are objects which have been unlawfully placed on or which overhang the highway. Such obstructions are given by examples below:

  • Builders' skips: Skip Licences are required to ensure the skips are not placed so as to block access to property or apparatus within the highway.

  • Scaffolding and hoardings: A Scaffolding and Hoarding licences is required for the erection of any structure on or over a Public Highway to ensure that public health & safety are not compromised.

  • Builders materials: For safety reasons, Dudley Council do not allow building materials to be placed on the highway. Therefore we do not provide Building Materials Licence.

  • Street works: You can access the Dudley Council Street Works Register

  • Overhanging tree branches or high hedges: To report report a dangerous tree affecting public health please use our

    Grounds Maintenance report Form

  • Mud/debris on the road (including fly tipping, dead animals and spillages): To report a cleanliness issue relating to a street, gully, car park, public convenience or other public area, please complete our Street Cleansing Report Form.

  • Parking Issues: Civil Parking Enforcement Officers are responsible for dealing with obstructions on the road and pavements where waiting restrictions apply, such as yellow lines.

  • Parking on footways and pavements: The Police are responsible for dealing with obstructions of the road and pavements, including verges, where no other parking restrictions are in force. Parking on footways and pavements

  • Unauthorised vendors/traders: A Street Trading Consent is required for anyone who is proposing to offer goods for sale from a permanent venue. please contact us to report problems.

  • Blocking "Rights of Way": The Council has powers to deal with a range of nuisance issues, including obstruction of the highway and public rights of way. please contact us to report a problem.

Highway licences

Under the Highways Act 1980 it's necessary for anyone wishing to carry out certain functions (including those listed above) on the highway to first get written permission to do so from the Council. This is usually in the some form of licence, permit or consent form and in some cases a fee will be payable. please see our Highways Licences page for further information.


If a person without lawful authority or excuse in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway, they are guilty of an offence. In such cases the Highway Authority has legal powers to enforce their removal.

A magistrate's court can impose a maximum fine of £1,000 for anyone convicted of wilfully obstructing the highway.