Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Scaffolding and Hoarding Licences

Dudley Council monitor scaffolding and hoarding on or over a Public Highway to ensure that public health & safety are not compromised.

The erection of any structure on or over a Public Highway will require a Licence from us before it can be erected. The Licences are issued for a set period of time after which the licensee must have safely removed the structure or applied for an extension to the Licence.

A guide to the process

Step One

  • Apply online using our Scaffolding / Hoarding Permission Form or contact us for a Scaffolding / Hoarding application form. You will be initially be asked for various application details including location, date, type. You will also need to send us a copy of your £5 million Public Liability Insurance.
  • We will aim to issue you with a Licence within 5 working days from date of the site meeting.
  • You SHOULD NOT commence with the erection of the structure until you receive this licence. The licence will contain conditions designed to secure the health and safety of the public.

Step Two

The above collected information will be passed to an inspector who will contact to arrange a convenient site visit.

During the site inspection the application form will be completed accordingly. Your scaffolding license will be granted or refused with consideration to the following points: -

  • Safety issues
  • Possible disruption to other road users
  • Space for public walkway
  • The License payment will be issued at the end of the calendar month.

If approved, the licence will be sent via post.

Step Three

Once you have been issued with the licence you will be invoiced for the licence fee. Please see our fee information above for the details of the current fees.


Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Frequently asked questions

How much does it cost?

There is an application fee which you will be invoiced for once you have been issued with the licence. The application fees normally changes annually so for this year's fee please view the fee information.

How long will my application take to process?

We aim to process your application as soon as possible. We will confirm that we have received your application. Please contact us if you have any queries.

Can I start to erect my scaffolding before my licence is granted?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How do I report a problem with scaffolding or hoarding?

Please notify us in any of the following circumstances:

  • Problems with scaffolding or hoarding: We will get an inspector to come and visit the site and make a report. We shall then ask the scaffolding company to take appropriate action.
  • Report scaffolding that appears to have no provision for pedestrian safety: If you are concerned that the problem could be dangerous please contact us immediately.
  • Dangerous or damaged scaffolding or hoarding: The usual causes of damage to scaffolding are vehicle impacts and high winds. All scaffolding carry a notice giving the owner or contractor's name and telephone number. If a vehicle has run into the scaffolding or it is leaning, has come away from the building struts, telephone the police, giving any contact details on the scaffolding. Please contact us with the details as we may know to whom the scaffolding belongs even if there is no information on site.

Your rights of appeal

Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any conditions to which the licence is subject, may appeal to the Magistrates Court and the Courts may give such direction regarding the licence and its conditions as it thinks proper.

Contact Details

Trade Associations