Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Council Tax helps to pay for Council services including education and social services, West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner and Fire & Civil Defence. The Council receives money from the Government and income from Business Rates, although this is not enough to cover the whole cost of Council services. The difference is made up by the Council Tax.

What do you wish to do?

How can I pay?

You can pay your council tax in many ways from online to in person.

Ways to pay your council tax

Do I have to receive a paper bill?

eBilling is another way to receive your council tax bill. Instead of receiving paper bills you will be able to view your council tax bills online.


What about if I change my address?

If you move house, it's important you tell us as soon as possible so we can send you a bill for council tax.

Tell us about your move

Discounts, Reductions and Exemptions

The full council tax bill for a property assumes it that it is the main home of two adults. If it is the main home of only one adult, the bill is reduced by 25%.

Single person discount

Council tax reductions

Further Information

Council Tax Bands

Band Valuation Range (£) Council Tax 2019/2020
A 0 - 40,000 £1,027.84
B 40,001 - 52,000 £1,199.14
C 52,001 - 68,000 £1,370.44
D 68,001 - 88,000 £1,541.75
E 88,001 - 120,000 £1,884.37
F 120,001 - 160,000 £2,226.98
G 160,001 - 320,000 £2,569.59
H more than 320,000 £3,083.51

Banding appeals

Appeals concerning your banding should be made to the Listing Officer (not the Council) at:

Valuation Office Agency, Overline House, Central Station, Blechynden Terrace, Southampton, SO15 1GW or 03000 501 501

You may appeal about your banding if:

  • You have been liable for your property for less than 6 months and can demonstrate that its value at 1st April 1991 would have been such that it should be in a different band
  • You believe that your property's value has altered enough to merit an alteration in band, e.g. as a result of a change in the physical state of the area or the demolition/conversion of part of the property.

Please remember that all council tax valuations are based on April 1991 values; general changes in the level of house prices since then are not grounds for appeal. More detailed information is available from the Listing Officer at the above address.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of council tax. If your appeal is successful, you will be credited with the amount of any overpaid tax

Who has to pay council tax?

Most dwellings are subject to Council Tax. There is one bill per dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

To work out who has to pay for your home (or "dwelling"), look down the list below. As soon as you reach a description which applies to someone in your home, that is the person who is responsible for the bill (the "liable person").

  • A resident freeholder (so, for owner-occupied property, the owner is liable)
  • A resident leaseholder (this includes assured tenants under the Housing Act 1988)
  • A resident statutory or secure tenant
  • A resident licensee
  • A resident
  • The owner (this applies where the dwelling has no residents)

A 'resident' is a person of 18 years or over who lives in the dwelling as their only or main home 

These rules mean that the owner-occupier(s) or resident tenant(s) [including Council tenant(s)] usually has to pay the tax. If the property is empty, or it is not anyone's main home, or if the people living there are under 18, the owner is responsible for the bill. Tenants do not have to pay Council Tax if their landlord lives in the dwelling. These rules do not apply in some special cases. If you require further details, please contact us.

Your bill explained

Are you paying the right level of council tax?

Council tax penalties

The law allows councils to impose a £70 penalty to any person who:

  • failed to notify the authority, without reasonable excuse, on any matter which affects entitlement to discount
  • failed to notify the authority that an exemption of their dwelling should have ceased
  • failed to notify the authority that they have become jointly liable for council tax
  • failed to supply the authority with information requested to establish liability
  • failed to provide the authority with information requested after a liability order has been obtained

Where a penalty has already been applied and additional requests for the same information are made further penalties of £280 per subsequent failure may be applied, provided that:

  • the information is in the debtors possession
  • the information has been requested by the local authority for the debtor to supply it
  • the information falls within a prescribed definition of information

Supporting financial information

Council Tax helps to pay for Council services including education and social services, West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner and Fire & Civil Defense. The Council receives money from the Government and income from Business Rates, although this is not enough to cover the whole cost of Council services. The difference is made up by the Council Tax.

Supporting financial information

Empty homes premium

The empty homes premium applies to ‘long-term empty dwellings’ – i.e. homes that have been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for at least two years. A recent change in legislation - the Rating (Property in Common Occupation) and Council Tax (Empty Dwellings) Act 2018 - gives councils further discretion to increase this premium from 1st April 2019 to 100%.

At the full council meeting of the 25th February 2019, it was agreed that Dudley would increase this premium from 50% to 100% with effect from 1st April 2019.

Empty homes review

We are currently undertaking an Empty Homes Review across the borough to identify properties where our records indicate they are vacant, when in fact they are occupied.

If you receive a letter it is because the Council has a legal duty to maintain accurate records for the billing and collection of Council Tax. The purpose of the letter is to ensure the Council’s records are correct. Please complete and return the letter or email

Information for Employers

The guide and fact sheets, found attached to this page, provide employers with regulatory information about Attachment of Earnings Orders.

Information For Employers In Respect of Attachment of Earnings Orders

Council Tax and Business Rates Scams

Council Tax and Business Rates scams are becoming more prevalent, below are some of the methods a fraudulent agent may use:

  • insist you’re definitely in the wrong Council Tax band and are owed back payments on your Council Tax bill, when in fact your band is correct; say they’re from the local council or Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and ask for your bank details so they can provide a refund, then steal money from the bank account
  • claim that the VOA charges you to challenge your Council Tax band
  • claim that taxpayers must, by law, be represented by an agent to challenge their band, when in fact anyone can do this
  • state that they’re on an approved list of agents recognised by the VOA, when in fact the VOA does not keep any such list
  • tell you they have submitted an appeal to the VOA on your behalf and give you a forged acknowledgment notice when in fact they haven’t submitted an appeal

To avoid falling victim to these scams you should:

  • remember that you can have your Council Tax band checked free of charge by contacting the VOA
  • remember that you can find and check your business rates valuation online free of charge
  • contact a cold caller’s head office to check that they’re legitimate (make sure that your last call has ended properly and you have a dial tone before redialling the number)
  • contact the council or the VOA if you receive a call offering to reduce your band or rateable value, to check their story
  • inform the police if you believe that anyone is impersonating staff from your local council or the VOA
  • dial 999 if a doorstep cold caller refuses to leave your home
  • report any suspected scam to Action Fraud.

Alternatively you can speak to Dudley Council Plus or write to us at Revenue Services, PO Box 3, Council House, Priory Street, Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 1HG.