Skip to main content
Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Elections- Members of the Armed Forces

If you are a member of the Armed Forces, or the husband, wife or civil partner of someone in the Armed Forces, you can register to vote either as a Service Voter or as an ordinary voter. The way you choose to register to vote is up to you and will depend on your personal circumstances.

If you are based overseas, or expect to be posted abroad in the next year, it would be advisable to register as a service voter. This allows you to be registered at a fixed address in the Borough even if you move around. A Service Voter registration also lasts for three years, so once you’re registered, you shouldn’t have to worry about it while you are busy overseas. However if your circumstances should change, or the address of your base changes you should let us know immediately so that important documentation such as renewal notices can be sent to the correct place. An application form to register as a Service Voter can be found below.

If you are based in the Borough or return to your home address frequently and are unlikely to change address or be posted overseas in the next year, you can register as an ordinary voter. This is the type of registration where you will receive an annual canvass registration form through the post at your address once a year between mid-August and November. Ordinary voters need to re-register every year (annually). You don’t need to wait for the annual canvass if you want to register.

To register as a service voter or ordinary voter please visit register to vote online Please have your National Insurance Number and your date of birth to hand when you register. The process only takes 5 minutes.

How Can I Vote ? What if I'm abroad on election day?

If you are going to be away from home on election day you can apply to vote by post or appoint someone to vote by proxy on your behalf. If you wish to vote by either of these methods please print off either of the application forms below. If you are going to be abroad on election day and wish to vote by post you should remember that postal ballot papers are not issued until the week before the election, the ballot paper and supporting documentation has to be completed and returned to Electoral Services by 10pm on the day of the election.