Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Residential and nursing care homes

Choosing and paying for care

Local authorities are responsible for assessing whether people need residential and nursing home care and are responsible for paying for this care if there is no other source of funding. Anyone can request an assessment of their social care needs and then plan their social care support.

To request a social care assessment contact our Access Team on 0300 555 0055.

If a move into a residential care home is required we will arrange for a financial assessment to take place and this will establish if we can help with the care home fees or if the person will need to pay for them as a self funder.

For more information please see our booklet Arranging and paying for residential and nursing home care.

Our partner Safe and Settled offers an alternative care advice and support service for people who wish to make their care arrangements themselves.

Choosing a residential or nursing care home

Residential homes and nursing care homes (care homes that provide nursing care) provide live in care to members of the community. They can be operated by the private sector, the not-for-profit sector, the charitable sector and the council (residential homes only). All care homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

When choosing a care home we encourage people to visit several potential homes and to take a family member or friend along. Our booklet 'Arranging and paying for residential and nursing home care' covers key points and has a useful checklist of things to consider when choosing a home.

Care home providers are required to provide information about the fees and terms of a person’s proposed stay; this is called a statement of purpose. They should also provide their most recent inspection report and a copy of their complaints procedure.

List of care homes

Below is a list of care homes approved by the council - these are the homes in which the council will fund placements.

Each section has a council contact address and telephone number. It is particularly important to contact the council before you make any arrangements that the council may be completely or partially funding.

The list also includes care homes and care homes providing nursing care outside the Dudley Borough in local authorities and with which Dudley Council has a contract including Sandwell, Staffordshire, Wolverhampton and Worcestershire. You may wish to consider these homes in addition to those within the Dudley borough boundary.

As homes vary considerably you should contact those you are interested in directly to see that they offer what you are looking for.

If you wish to look at homes with which Dudley does not have a contract you can look in the Dudley Community Information Directory or on the CQC website.

Alternatively our partner Safe and Settled can help you with the care options process or you can look at some of the independent information provided by Independent Age, Age UK England and NHS Choices.

Self funding residential care

Depending on your income and savings you may not qualify for funding support from the council for your residential care.

If you have capital or savings, including property, over the upper capital limit of £23,250 (2015/16), you will have to pay the full cost of your care. In this case you are known as a self funder.

If you have a property the rules for self funding and assistance that the council can provide can be quite complicated. It is possible that certain types of capital and savings or property could be disregarded and it is in your best interests to ask for a financial assessment; we can then advise you on your own particular circumstances.

Even if you don’t think the council will be able to make a financial contribution to the cost of your support it still makes sense to have a free social care assessment. You may find that you are entitled to some help or benefits that you weren’t aware of. If the council can’t help with your costs, as a self funder you are still entitled to the same free and detailed help and advice in working out your needs and finding the right care for you.

To request a social care assessment contact our Access Team on 0300 555 0055.

Our partner Safe and Settled offers an alternative care advice and support service for people who are self funders.

Independent information is provided by Independent Age, Age UK England and the NHS choices website.

more on costs of care

NHS Continuing Heath Care

NHS continuing healthcare is the name given to a package of care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals who are not in hospital who have complex ongoing healthcare needs. See the NHS website for more information.

Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission's (CQC) inspection reports can form part of your decision-making process. Go to CQC's website and click on Care Homes to search inspection reports.

If a care home is judged to be failing to meet one or more of the government standards the inspection report will detail why and set out what actions the care home must take to improve. CQC regulates all care homes in England and routinely inspects them annually, although homes can be inspected at any time in response to concerns about poor care.

If you have experienced poor care, or know that poor care is being provided somewhere, you can report it anonymously to CQC. The information you provide helps the regulator identify if a service is no longer providing care that meets the standards. Where CQC finds a service isn't meeting the standards they will always take action to ensure care improves.

To report poor care to CQC please visit their website - or call 03000 616161.

Costs of care

Sheltered housing options

Extra care housing

Access Team

Safe and Settled


Welfare rights service

Contact Details

Access Team

Email: Access Team
Tel: 0300 555 0055

External Links