Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

A personal licence allows you to sell alcohol and authorise sales of alcohol under the authority of a premises licence. A personal licence does not authorise its holder to supply alcohol anywhere, but only from establishments with a premises licence authorising the supply of alcohol in accordance with the premises licence. An individual may hold only one personal licence at any one time.

More details about personal licences can be found on the Home Office website

Regulations and Legislation

Full details can be found on the Home Office website

Removal of requirement to renew a Personal Licence

As a result of the Deregulation Act 2015 the Government has removed the requirement to renew Personal Licences with effect from 1 April 2015. Personal Licences are therefore now valid indefinitely.

If your Personal Licence shows an expiry date you do not need to renew it, even when the date showing on your existing licence passes. 
We will not be automatically issuing new licences to remove the expiry date, however if you do wish the date to be removed from your current licence, you can return both parts (badge and paper counterpart) together with a fee of £10.50 and a letter requesting this.

New Applicants

Applicants for personal licences will need to obtain an accredited qualification first. The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

A list of accredited personal licence qualification providers can be found at the foot of this page. Please contact these bodies directly for information on courses, costs and availability in your area.

Basic Criminal Record checks

Basic criminal record checks can be obtained from . For further details call their helpline number 03000 200 190.

How to apply

Application forms for new licences are available from the Home Office website.

To apply for a personal licence, you have to:

  • be aged 18 or over
  • possess a licensing qualification or be a person of a prescribed description
  • have not forfeited any personal licence in the last five years
  • have no unspent convictions for any relevant or foreign offence.

When submitting a personal licence application, you are required to produce:

  • Your disclosure certificate from giving details of any relevant conviction/foreign offence, dated within one calendar month of the application
  • Your accredited Level 2 award for Personal Licence Holders
  • two passport size photographs one of which must be certified.

If you wish to discuss your application or need more details, please contact the Licensing office using the Contact Details box below.

How much will I have to pay for a personal licence?

The fee for a personal licence application is £37.

Information about all Licensing Act 2003 Fee Levels can be found on the Home Office website. The Licensing Act 2003 ("The Act") provides for fees to be payable to the licensing authority in respect of the discharge of their functions. The fee levels are set centrally by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, at a level to allow licensing authorities full cost recovery for the administration, inspection and enforcement of the new regime.

Changes to acceptance of payments

Following the banks withdrawal of the use of Cheque Guarantee Cards to ‘guarantee’ payment of a cheque the council has revised its policy in relation to payment by cheque.

In accordance with that policy please note that the Licensing Office cannot accept payment of fees by cheque from the 1st August 2011 for the following applications:-

  • Personal Licences

  • Temporary Event Notice

  • Interim Authority

  • Change of name/address for any licences/certificates/permits

  • Copy of any licences/certificates/permits/temporary event notices

Fees can be paid in cash or by debit/credit card.

What happens if my Licence Circumstances change?

Please notify the Licensing Office immediately using the Contact Details box below.

If you change your name or address - You must, as soon as reasonably practicable, notify the Licensing Office of this change. Please complete the form (downloadable from the foot of this page) and return it with both parts of your personal licence and the fee of £10.50 to the Licensing Office at the address below.