Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

This regime is known as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC). Premises permitted under this regime are known as Part B installations and the processes that they carry out are permitted Part B activities.

Permitted activities

Permitted activities are those industrial technologies that have a potential to cause pollution and a list can be found in Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010. Activities which use and emit solvents may also be subject to the requirements of Schedule 14 of the Regulations.

Part B activities have less pollution potential than Part A1 and A2 activities and include such processes as vehicle re-spraying, furniture manufacture and unloading of petrol at petrol stations. The Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC) system deals only with emissions to air. Part B activities are regulated by local authorities who will inspect the installation to ensure that it is complying with the conditions of the environmental permit.

Who needs a permit?

Anyone operating an activity that falls into the Part B category described above must submit an application, with the appropriate fee, to us. We must then determine the permit in accordance with government guidance. If you wish to find out which activities require a permit, these can be found in part 2 of Schedule 1 the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 and also in Schedule 14 which transposes the requirements of the European Industrial Emissions Directive into UK law.

How much will it cost

The costs incurred in obtaining and retaining an environmental permit are not straightforward.

Please see LAPPC (Part B) Fees for further information.

These change according to, for example, legislative changes and inflation. There are charges for:

  • applications for permits
  • retaining a permit (these are called subsistence fees)
  • making major changes to the facility (these are called substantial changes).

Eligibility Criteria

Only a person who has control over the operation of a regulated facility may obtain or hold an Environmental Permit. This person is the “operator”. A permit application may be made by an agent on behalf of the operator.

How do I apply?

Certain industrial activities qualify for Simplified Permits and hence pay a reduced fee. The activities include some of those which fall under the following headings :

  • Bulk use of cement,

  • Manufacture of heavy clay goods and refractory goods,

  • Coal coke and petroleum coal activities,

  • Exfoliation of vermiculite and expansion of perlite

  • Quarry processes, road stone coating processes,

  • Mobile crushing and screening,

  • China and ball clay processes,

  • Mineral drying and cooling and

  • Manufacture of timber and wood based products.

If you are intending to operate one of these activities it is recommended that you contact Environmental Protection to discuss the matter before submitting an application.

Using our online application form, this service requires an online payment; you will be taken to the secure payment facility upon submission of this form.

Please note that for Dry Cleaning Establishments, Petrol Stations, or Vehicle Respraying use the forms that are available on the specific webpages.

Application Evaluation Process

Pre- application discussions between operators and regulators can help in improving the quality of the formal permit application and are therefore encouraged.

The permit application must be made on the form provided, it must include all the information required by the form and it must be accompanied by the relevant fee.

If the application is correctly made & includes the relevant fee it will be “duly made” which means it has been accepted by the Council.

The permit application will not be duly made if for instance;

  • It has not been submitted on the correct form,
  • It does not adequately address a key point in the application,
  • The relevant fee does not accompany the permit application.

We aim to decide whether an application has been duly made within 10 working days of receipt.

How long will my application take to process?

A local authority should determine an application for Part B installations except dry cleaners and small waste oil burners within 4 months of the application being duly made.

This time period of 4 months does not include any time taken for the request for additional information.

The time frame for dry cleaners and small waste oil burners is 3 months. We will confirm that we have received your application. Please contact us if you have any queries using the details below.

Can I start to operate a permitted process without a permit being issued? (i.e. will tacit consent apply)

No. It is illegal to operate a permitted process without a permit being issued.

No new installation or substantial change to an existing installation may be operated without a permit or variation. It is an offence under EP regulation 38(1)(a) to operate a regulated facility without a permit and to the extent authorised by that permit.

In the event that new categories of activity are subsequently added by future amendments to the EP Regulations, those amendment Regulations will include deadlines by which applications must be made for new and existing installations.

The charging scheme for fees specifies a higher than normal fee for applications made where an operator has been operating a listed activity unlawfully without a permit.

Your Right of Appeal

Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a permit or by any condition to which a permit is subject may appeal to the Planning Inspectorate who may give such directions regarding the permit or its conditions as it thinks proper.

Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Trade Associations

It is advisable to contact your trade association for advice about completing the permit application form and methodology for compliance with the legislation.

Where can I get further information?

Please visit the DEFRA website for further information.

Fee Information

Useful Links

Contact Details

Environmental Safety and Health, People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ

Telephone 0300 555 2345

Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, closed weekends and Bank Holidays

General Advice and Complaints Form