Skip to main content

Clean water is fundamental to human wellbeing and health. Whether it is used for drinking, cooking, washing or recreation, we all expect our water to be safe. If it is not, micro-organisms can cause health problems ranging from a mild stomach upset to a serious illness such as cryptosporidiosis and chemicals can cause poisoning.

We are involved in protecting water quality in Dudley. As well as sampling the public water supply from time to time, we are responsible for identifying and checking private water supplies. Where quality standards fall below those required, we work with the water providers to minimise risks to health.

Mains Drinking Water

If you believe that there is a problem with your mains drinking water, you should in the first instance contact your water supplier (i.e. Severn Trent Water Authority or South Staffordshire Water).

If you are in a tenanted property, you may also contact your landlord. If it is your own property, then you could also consult a plumber as there could be faults with your plumbing installation.

If you are not happy with responses from your water supplier, you should then contact the Drinking Water Inspectorate.

Private water supplies

There are a few properties in Dudley that are not on a mains water supply and are supplied from, for example, spring water. Where there is a private water supply it must be checked to ensure that the water is clean and safe. If you have a private water supply, would like advice about them including water testing and monitoring, please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page for more information.

Private leisure centres

The Environmental Safety and Health section is the health and safety enforcing authority for bathing waters in private leisure centres, sports clubs and gyms in the borough. The Food and Consumer Safety Team also provide advise on private domestic water systems.

If you have a complaints about a private swimming pool, Jacuzzi or other bathing facility, you should contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.

Local authority run leisure centre pools

A regular programme of inspecting bathing facilities is undertaken. Where appropriate samples of the water are taken for analysis to ensure they are both free from harmful bacteria and treated effectively.

If you have a complaint about Council run pools, please contact the leisure centre manager in the first instance.

Contact Us

Food and Trading Standards
4 Ednam Road
West Midlands

Telephone 0300 555 2345

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday - 8.45am to 5.00pm
Offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays.