Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Revised Statement of Policy

Dudley MBC has reviewed its Statement of Licensing Principles in respect of Gambling, as is required every three years.

The revised Statement of Policy was approved by Council on the 22nd February 2016, published on the 10th March 2016 and came into effect on the 10th April 2016. The revised Policy document is available at the foot of this page and can also be inspected at the Licensing Office, at the address below.

Details of the Consultation process for the Review

About the Gambling Act 2005

The Gambling Act 2005 came into force on September 1st 2007 and creates a new regulatory system to govern the provision of all gambling in Great Britain, other than the National Lottery and Spread Betting and removes from the Licensing Justices all responsibility for granting gaming and betting permissions.

It introduced for the first time a unified regulatory body for the gambling industry, The Gambling Commission, as the national regulator and also gives the Council new responsibilities in relation to Gambling, Gaming and Betting. The Gambling Commission will investigate and prosecute illegal gambling providers and give guidance to Local Authorities on how they should carry out their function under the Act.

Council were required to draft, consult on and publish a Statement of Licensing Principals. A copy of the Dudley MBC Statement of Licensing Principals can be found at the foot of this page. Read background information to the Dudley MBC Statement of Principals and Transitional Arrangements to the Gambling Act 2005. The document containing the Dudley MBC Statement of Principals can be found at the foot of this page.

Under the Gambling Act 2005 the Gambling Commission is responsible for issuing personal and operator licences and local authorities have a number of important regulatory functions in relation to gambling. These include licensing premises, regulating gaming and gaming machines in clubs, granting permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines, regulating gaming and gaming machines on alcohol licensed premises, granting permits for prize gaming, registering small society lotteries, and tracks.

More information about what type of licence is needed and Frequently Asked Questions can be found on the Gambling Commission Website, or by contacting the Licensing Office using the Contact Details box below.

Dudley licensing authority local area profile/ map (Gambling Premises)

To assist in the production of Gambling Premises risk assessments, The Licensing authority have produced a local area profile by means of a map of the borough, showing the location of all existing gaming premises.

The interactive nature of the map allows closer survey of the area thus identifying other premises which may need to be considered.

Gambling Act 2005 - Joint enforcement protocol

There is a statutory requirement under the Gambling Act 2005 for licensing authorities and the local police to put into place a written joint enforcement protocol. This is available for download at the foot of this page.

If you need further information or want to discuss the Joint Enforcement Protocol please contact the Licensing Office, details can be found in the Contact Details box below. 


In order for gambling activity to take place in any public premises you will need to obtain a permit.

Premises licence

If you want to use premises to provide facilities for gambling, you will first need to obtain a premises licence from us under the Gambling Act 2005.

Application forms - Premises

Where you are providing gambling services to the public from fixed premises, rather than online (remotely), you will require a premises licence from the local authority where your premises are situated.

Premises Licence Application forms can be downloaded from the Dept for Culture Media and Sport or obtained from the Licensing Office by using the Contact Details box below.

Information regarding Fees can be found at the foot of this page.

Service of Notice on Responsible Authorities

It is important that all documentation, including application forms, plans, etc, is sent to the Responsible Authorities. Should you not do so, your application will be considered incomplete and will be rejected.

List of Responsible Authorities and their contact details.

More information about Responsible Authorities is contained in The Gambling Act 2005 Dudley Statement of Principals document.

Gambling Act 2005 - Responsible Authorities

What we do with your Personal Data

The information you provide to the Licensing department is processed in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. Further information can be found here

  • Licensing Team, Unit 1 Hurst Business Park, Narrow Boat Way, Brierley Hill, DY5 1UF

    Telephone: 01384 814474 or 01384 814086

  • The office is open from 8.00am to 4.00pm daily. Applicants are seen by appointment only.

    Disabled users of our service, please note that if possible could you contact us to make an appointment before visiting our offices, to enable us to meet your needs.