Licensing Office Closed

Due to the current situation with the coronavirus (COVID-19) the Licensing Office is currently closed to the public. If you have an appointment / vehicle test already booked please telephone 01384 815101 for all other enquiries ring 01384 815377 and a member of the team will be available to assist.



Advice and Information

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

To collect money or sell articles you may need a street trading or collection licence from us.

Car boot sales

A car boot sale is an outdoor sale where people sell unwanted possessions, usually from the boots of their cars. If you would like to hold a car boot sale in Dudley, you must apply for permission from us.

Consumer credit licence

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 requires most businesses that offer goods or services on credit or lend money to consumers to be licensed by the OFT. Trading without a licensing arrangement is a criminal offence and can result in a fine and/or imprisonment.

More information can be found on the Office of Fair Trading Website.

House to house licence

A licence is required principally for door to door charitable collections, either made with collecting tins or by returning to collect a previously posted envelope. It will also cover collections of money made on a "pub crawl" and for example collections of tin foods for redistribution or "jumble" for charity sales.

Market trader (not including street traders)

Scrap metal dealers and collectors

In order to run a scrap metal business you must be licensed by the council.  Find out about scrap metal dealers, site licences and collectors licences.

Street collection permits

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, you may need a street collection permit from us.

Street traders consent

A Street Trading Consent is required for anyone who is proposing to offer goods for sale from a permanent venue.

Your Personal Data

The information you provide to the Licensing department is processed in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. Further information on personal data collection.

  • Licensing Team, Unit 1, Hurst Business Park, Narrow Boat Way, Brierley Hill, DY5 1UF

    Contact - Street trading and collection

    Telephone: 01384 815101 or 01384 815377

  • The office is open from 8.00am to 4.00pm daily. Applicants are seen by appointment only.

    Please note offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays.