Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Dudley Council has a statutory duty to provide short breaks in line with:

  • the Children Act 1989 (Section 17)

  • the Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children Regulations 2011

What are Short Breaks?

  • The Short Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children Regulation (April 2011) requires the Local Authority to provide ‘so far as is reasonably practicable a range of services which is sufficient to assist carers to continue to provide care or to do so more effectively.’ 

  • Local authorities are required to publish a statement about short breaks which contains a list of services that are accessible to children and young people to support them at home (including a wide range of options to suit individual needs).

How do I access short breaks?

  • By telephone 0300 555 0050 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)

  • Referrals should be made by completing a Multi Agency Referral Form (MARF) and returning it to

It is recommended that parents or professionals give as much information as possible about the child/young person's disability; this enables Dudley Council to ensure that the right services are provided at the right time to meet individual needs and to ensure the families have the appropriate support.

Any enquiries over the phone must be followed up by the completion of the Multi Agency Referral Form (MARF).

What happens next?

Following the referral a social worker will contact you to discuss your request to access a short break. In line with the eligibility criteria you will be provided with the right level of support appropriate to your needs. This can be through universal, targeted early help or statutory social care services.