Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Once you enquire about an adaptation the first step will be an assessment.

You or the member of your household that is struggling will be assessed by an occupational therapist or appropriately trained assessor. They will discuss your needs with you and how they impact on your wellbeing. The assessment may take place at your home, over the telephone or at the council’s assisted living centre.

Following your assessment the occupational therapist will make a recommendation on what adaptation, aids or support is needed to enable you to continue living independently in your home. Not all assessments will lead to an adaptation being recommended.

What alternatives may be suggested?

In some instances your needs may be met by providing you with community equipment to promote independence or identifying a rehabilitation programme or lifestyle change.

What is community equipment?

This is portable equipment that is loaned to you from our community equipment service; Examples are commodes, shower chairs, walking frames. These items are provided free of charge following an assessment to promote independence in activities of daily living.

What are the adaptation options?

If an adaptation is recommended it will be either a 'minor' adaptation or a 'major' adaptation.

Examples of 'minor' adaptations are handrails to your external pathway or steps or stair rails and grab rails to your home. These are provided free of charge up to £1000.

Examples of 'major' adaptations include the provision of a ramp, level access shower, stair lift, vertical through floor lift or external lift or extending your home to provide sleeping or bathing facilities.

Related Links

Contact Details

Access to Care
0300 555 0055

Dudley Council Plus
0300 555 2345