Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Worried about money? Confused about benefits? Just started work? Just finished work?


Whatever your situation these pages will help you find the right support and advice.

Universal credit

If you claim Universal Credit you will be responsible for paying your own rent. If your rent changes, you are also responsible for notifying the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) of these changes.

Once you have applied for Universal Credit, the DWP will assess your personal and housing circumstances and review what help you are entitled to. A lump sum will be paid directly to you on a monthly basis, which you will then need to pay your rent to the council.


If you have had a change in circumstances this page contains useful information

Important changes to Council Tax and housing benefit

Latest news and information concerning council tax and housing benefit


Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is housing benefit paid to people who live in private rented accommodation to help pay their rent.

Discretionary housing payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are extra payments to help pay your rent.

Housing benefit overpayments

If your circumstances change while you are claiming housing benefit but you do not tell us straight away you could be paid more benefit than you are entitled to. The difference between what you were actually paid and what you should have been paid is called an overpayment.