Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Anti-social behaviour

We all have the right to live in peace free from the nuisance of noisy neighbours, threatening behaviour or harassment. If your tenants complain about anti-social behaviour or someone complains to you about your tenants, action will need to be taken. 

more on anti-social behaviour

Citizens Advice

For free confidential advice contact Citizens Advice.

Council Tax

Council Tax helps to pay for Council services including education and social services, West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner and Fire & Civil Defence. The Council receives money from the Government and income from Business Rates, although this is not enough to cover the whole cost of Council services. The difference is made up by the Council Tax.

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

DWP is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. It administers the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits.


Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) - Landlords

From the 1st April 2021 all Landlords are required to have an electrical safety report (EICR) which shows all the electrics in the property are safe. Please see below information for guidance:

Energy efficiency

As fuel bills continue to rise more and more people are focusing on energy efficiency within the home. We are committed to helping our residents reduce their fuel bills, keep warmer through the winter months and reduce our borough’s carbon emissions.

Gas Safe

Gas Safe holds a list of gas companies who are registered to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances.  By law all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register.

Home adaptations and disabled facilities grants (all tenures)

If you have a disability, an adaptation can help you to move more safely and confidently around your home.

Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018

If you live in a rented house or flat, then this guide will help you understand your rights under this Act.

 This guide is for people who: rent privately; rent from a housing association or rent from their local council

If you are in temporary accommodation or are a lodger or a property guardian, then this guide may not apply to you. If you are unsure you may wish to check if you have a licence to occupy rather than a tenancy.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

HMRC is the UK’s tax, payments and customs authority.

Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)

The HHSRS is the government's system for assessing the health and safety risks in dwellings, in order to inspect properties in the private sector.

National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA)

NRLA is a membership organisation for private residential landlords. The association was created from the merger of the RLA and NLA in April 2020. NRLA membership connects you with a wide range of resources - including access to business information, training, professional expertise, a leading publication and much more.

Property Inspections

The HHSRS is the government's system for assessing the health and safety risks in dwellings, in order to inspect properties in the private sector.


For housing advice and support contact Shelter.

Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015

Private sector landlords are required from 1st October 2015 to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. coal fire, wood burning stove). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each tenancy.

Smoke Free Legislation

Are you a landlord/managing agent of a residential premises that has ‘common areas’ such as shared hallways, kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms? If so the Smoke free legislation, which came into force in England on the 1st July 2007, applies to you.

The new law requires that virtually all enclosed public areas and workplaces to be smoke free, in accordance with regulations made under the Health Act 2006.

Premises are considered to be ‘enclosed’ if they have a ceiling or roof and, except for doors, windows or passageways, are wholly enclosed.

The main purpose of the legislation is to protect employees and members of the public from the effects of second hand smoke, which are known to cause a range of serious medical problems such as lung cancer and heart disease.

Second hand smoke can linger in enclosed spaces long after someone has been smoking and scientists have found that ventilation systems are not able to eliminate the risks of second hand smoke.

The legislation covers the smoking of tobacco or anything that contains tobacco, or the smoking of any other substance, including cigarettes, pipes and cigars.

With residential accommodation the regulations set out that private dwellings will not be required to be smoke free, with the exception of any parts of the premises that are used in common by more than one premises, e.g. a common indoor stairwell in a block divided into flats or a communal kitchen in a shared residence.

We are responsible for enforcing the Smokefree legislation, which makes it an offence for someone to smoke in such premises and carries a fixed penalty of £50 or a fine not exceeding £200.

All smoke free premises/areas have to display no smoking signs that meet the requirements as set out in the Smoke free (Signs) Regulations.

Owners/managers who fail to display no smoking signs face a fixed penalty of £200 (discounted to £150 if paid within 15 days) or a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale (currently £1000). Further, owners/managers who fail to prevent smoking in a smoke free premises face a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale (currently £2500).