Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Funding- will I have to pay for my adaptation?

If you are a homeowner, or a private rental tenant ( you rent from a private landlord, not the council) you may be eligible to receive a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to pay for your adaptation. Like most grants a DFG is subject to a financial means test to determine how much, if anything, you will need to contribute towards the cost of the works.

If you rent your home from the council then it is likely that your adaptations will be funded by the council as part of your tenancy agreement assuming that:

  • Your rent account is not in a state of arrears.

  • You have not recently submitted a 'Right to Buy' application which is being processed.

  • You do not have a 'live' re-housing application in place.

In some instances, however, your rent may increase as a consequence of your adaptations e.g. if the number of bedrooms are increased as a result of the adaptation.

Applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

A caseworker will be allocated to undertake a full assessment to help you remain safe, warm and independent in your home. They will also assist with applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant which includes a statutory means test based upon the weekly income of the person requiring the adaptation and any spouse or partner. It also takes into account any savings above £6,000 (there is no maximum amount) and certain benefits. Some benefits relating specifically to a person's disability are not taken into account. This assessment will determine whether a contribution is required to be made towards the cost of the works. If the calculated contribution is more than the cost of the works you will not be eligible to receive a Disabled Facilities Grant.

If you require more information regarding the statutory means test then please contact Dudley Home Improvement Service on 01384 817086.

Is there a grant maximum?

The law imposes a maximum level for a DFG which is currently £30,000. If your adaptation costs more than this you will need to 'top up' the grant yourself (as well as pay your means tested contribution, if any).

What will the grant cover?

The DFG will cover the cost of all agreed works and any professional and statutory fees.

What will not be covered by the grant?

Extra works which are not essential but have been requested by you are not covered. Examples may include extra non-essential areas of wall tiling in a bathroom, extra fixtures and fittings, more expensive materials, etc.

A grant is provided to fund an adaptation designed to meet the needs of a person in the most cost effective way. If a grant recipient wishes to adapt their home in a different, more expensive way, then the grant will only be based upon an agreed scheme rather than the client's preferred option.

Can I self-fund my adaptation?

If you decide to pay for the adaptation yourself you can still contact Dudley Home Improvement Service. We partner with specialist providers of bathroom, showering, kitchen and daily living products who can help re-design kitchens and bathrooms for people with mobility difficulties. We can also put you in touch with other local building contractors who can help you with designs and technical specifications and provide quotes. We may also be able to help you fund the works through an affordable loan from one of our partners.

Contact Details

Access to Care
0300 555 0055

Dudley Council Plus
0300 555 2345