Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Private renting is flexible and often offers a good housing solution.  There's lots of choice - including houses, flats, apartments and bedsits.

Dudley Council actively work with landlords and tenants to encourage safe, quality and responsible renting. We can give you guidance on the legal standards for private rented housing, advice on how to go about finding a property to rent and what to do if you have problems with your landlord.

We have a range of advice and information we can use to ensure people and properties are safe, well managed and tenants are free from any worries.

Finding Somewhere To Live

Private rented properties are advertised in many ways, including in the press, shop windows, estate agents and on internet sites.

The Association of Residential Letting Agents can also help provide details of local letting agents.

Choosing a Rental Property

Before you agree to rent or sign any paperwork, remember to take a really good look at the property that you’re considering, ensuring it is safe and secure to live in, and that all outstanding repairs are carried out before you move in.

Dudley is also a member of Homestamp, a partnership comprising with local authorities, the Private Rented Sector, West Midlands Police, and the Fire Service. We ensure the following:

  • Supply of good quality private rented homes.
  • Provide information and training for landlords.
  • Respond to regional and national issues affecting the private rented sector.

Landlord Problems

If you are living in privately rented accommodation the law protects you against harassment and illegal eviction by your landlord. Both of these acts are criminal offences and victims are able to claim damages, through the civil court. Find out more about landlord problems.


If you need a repair to your rental property you should call your landlord at the first instance.

If the landlord refuses to carry out the work, please contact us. We will be able to ensure that works are carried out to the minimum statutory housing standard.

When you sign your tenancy agreement, ensure you find out which repairs your landlord is responsible for, which repairs you will be responsible for, and the procedure for reporting a repair.

Contact us

Keeping Up With Your Rent

If you’re struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to get help in order to help you manage. You can get further advice by contacting us on Dudley Council Plus.

Contact us

Tenancy Deposit Protection

Within 30 days of receiving a deposit, landlords will need to provide tenants with the details of which scheme is protecting the tenancy deposit. It must be accompanied by a copy of the relevant Scheme leaflet.
There is a free evidenced-based Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service to deal with disputes related to the tenancy deposit. In the event of a dispute, both the agent/landlord and tenant must consent to use the ADR service and agree to be bound by the Adjudicator’s decision.

It is important that before you pay any deposit that your landlord provides you with of a list of items included in the property, the condition of these items, and the general condition of the property. This must be signed by both of you as a record at that time.

You could take photographic evidence with the date shown when you first move in will help to avoid deposits being withheld by your landlord due to alleged damage. If your landlord breaks tenancy deposit rules, you should contact Shelter or the Citizen Advice Bureau.

Anti-social Behaviour

We all have the right to live in peace free from the nuisance of problem neighbours, threatening behaviour or harassment.

If you are having a problem with anti-social behaviour please contact Dudley Council Plus.

Contact us

Dudley Home Improvement Service

The Dudley Home Improvement Service provides adaptations, essential repairs and energy advice to support vulnerable residents living in the Dudley Borough to keep you warm, safe and independent in your home.

Disabled Facilities Grants

If you are a private tenant and either yourself or a member of your household are having difficulties getting around your home then we may be able to help pay towards adapting your rental property so you can continue to live independently, safely, and in comfort.