Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

If you are living in privately rented accommodation the law protects you against harassment and illegal eviction by your landlord. Both of these acts are criminal offences and victims are able to claim damages, through the civil court.

Landlords' obligations

The law makes it an offence for a landlord to:

  • commit acts likely to interfere with the peace or comfort of a tenant or anyone living with them

  • persistently withdraw or withhold services for which the tenant has a reasonable need to live in the premises as a home

  • make a tenant leave their home, or stop using part of it

  • do anything that stops a tenant doing the things they could normally expect to do

  • take someone's home away from them without following the legal process

A person who is convicted by magistrates of an offence under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 may have to pay a fine or be sent to prison for six months, or both. If the case goes to the Crown Court, the punishment can be prison for up to two years, or a fine, or both.

What can I do if I am having problems with my landlord?

If you think that your landlord is trying to stop you enjoying your property, or is trying to drive you out, please contact Private Sector Housing Enforcement team on 01384 815118 between the hours of 09:00 to 17:00 hours Monday to Friday

Alternatively you can seek advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau or your own Solicitor.


Contact Details

01384 815118