Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Finding a home and housing options

The service offers general advice on a wide range of options for renting and buying property. Staff can also refer customers to specialist services such as mediation, debt prevention and home improvements as well as adaptations that can support people to stay in their existing homes.

The following is a range of different options that may help to meet your housing needs. You can also see related documents at the bottom of page for further information.

Debt prevention and benefit assistance

If you fall behind with your rent payments your home maybe at risk. It is important that you contact your income management officer immediately to discuss how we can help and advise you, please contact Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345. You may be entitled to benefits to help you through financial difficulties.

We can also refer you to our partners Dudley Citizens Advice Bureau if your situation is complicated or you need help to sort out your debts. Alternatively you can contact them direct on 01384 816222.

Domestic violence and harassment

The Safe at Home scheme provides home security measures and support so that you can be safe in your own home if you have experienced domestic abuse or any hate crime including homophobic and race related incidents. For further information please contact Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345.


The downsizing scheme may be available to you if you are moving from a local authority or housing association family home to a one bedroom bungalow or and one or two bedroom flat. See the downsizing page for further information.

Dudley Council and Registered Social Landlords

To be considered for accommodation provided by these landlords please refer to applying for a council home.

Some Registered Social Landlords, also known as Housing Associations, advertise their properties on the Dudley at Home website.

If you are top of our list you will be nominated for these properties. Some Registered Social Landlords have their own waiting lists and advertising schemes which you can apply to directly.

Dudley telecare service

The service offers specialist home alarms to help people with a range of differing needs. The aim is to enable people to continue to live safely, securely and independently in their own homes. All Telecare alarms are linked to a monitoring centre operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Help and support is on hand immediately, giving users, families and carers real peace of mind. For more information call 0300 555 2040 or visit our Dudley Telecare Service pages.

Extra care housing

In partnership with Midland Heart, two Extra Care schemes for over 55s have been built and further schemes are planned for the future.

:: more on extra care housing

Garden Pathways

Dudley Council provides a gardening scheme for older and vulnerable tenants who are in need of a one off garden clearance or on-going maintenance.

The scheme is managed in partnership with Creative Support who have a team of trainees that undertake the work whilst studying a vocational training programme that allows them to develop personal and employability skills whilst engaging in practical gardening activities.

:: more on garden pathways

Help to Buy and shared ownership

Help to Buy is a range of low cost home ownership and discounted market rent products developed to make home ownership more affordable and help you get a foot on the property ladder. Orbit Help to Buy Agents provide a one stop shop service to people interested in any of the Help to Buy products within the West Midlands. You can find more information about the schemes and details about how to apply at the Orbit Help to Buy website.

Alternatively you can contact them at:

Orbit Help to Buy Agents
Garden Court, Harry Weston Road
Binley Business Park,
Coventry CV3 2SU
Tel: 03458 50 20 50

Home improvements

The Dudley Home Improvement Service offers a range of products and services to Dudley borough homeowners and private rental tenants (who are responsible for the maintenance of their rented home). Advice and financial assistance may be available if your present home is unsafe or lacks essential facilities. You can receive advice about reliable builders, grants, loans and equity release. Visit the Dudley Home Improvement Service page for further information.

Housing associations

Dudley Council works in partnership with a number of housing associations, also known as Registered Providers, to help meet housing needs and to build sustainable communities across the borough.

Housing associations are independent and not for profit organisations that provide the majority of new affordable housing in the borough and are regulated by the Homes & Communities Agency (HCA).

:: more on housing associations

Housing support

Housing Support advice is available on a range or subjects including: budgeting and managing finances; claiming welfare benefits; advocacy and communication; safety and security at home; move-on aspirations; setting up home and maintaining tenancy; personal safety and risk; physical health and hygiene; emotional well being and mental health; family and social contacts; social and leisure interests; and alcohol and substance misuse.

Housing Support also offer drop in sessions. For more information contact Housing Support on 01384 814139 or 07920 235009, visit the housing support pages for detailed information.

Information for people with disabilities

Whether you are in rented accommodation or in your own home, you may be able to get help with equipment or adaptations to help you stay in your own home. Contact Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345. Further information on aids and adaptations.


Mediation can help resolve relationship breakdowns including family, neighbour, community and tenant/landlord disputes. Mediation officers are impartial and trained to help resolve conflicts. For more information visit our mediation service page or contact Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555.

Moving elsewhere in the country

You can apply to any council in the country and have your application considered. However, you may find the council you wish to move to gives preference to local people and will only consider you if you have real need to move there, perhaps because of employment or to give or receive support. If you are already in rented accommodation with Dudley Council or a housing association, the mutual exchange scheme allows you to exchange your home with another tenant of a council or housing association anywhere in the country - subject to certain criteria.

:: more on mutual exchange

Available Now council homes

Dudley Council has a number of unfurnished flats and maisonettes across the borough available for rent.

These properties are not exclusive to Dudley borough residents and you do not have to be on the housing register to apply.

This is an ideal opportunity for anyone who is seeking an affordable home. Rents are from just £69 per week and include repairs, maintenance and service charges.

Private rented housing

Private landlords offer a wide range of accommodation in most parts of the Dudley borough. If you are on benefits or a low income you can find out whether you will be eligible for Housing Benefit before you commit yourself to taking on a tenancy. We also provide a regularly updated list of approved landlords which is available from Dudley Council Plus or the housing desk at Brierley Hill, Halesowen and Stourbridge libraries.

Rent deposit scheme

You may be eligible to apply for the Rent Deposit Scheme subject to specific criteria.

Right to buy

Depending on how long you have lived in council accommodation you may be eligible to purchase your council home through the Right to Buy scheme. For further information see buying your council home.

Supported and sheltered housing

Dudley Council and selected registered social landlords offer sheltered housing schemes for older people that give the freedom of living independently with help close by if needed. Some Sheltered Housing is advertised on the Dudley at Home website.

:: more on supported and sheltered housing

Winter Warmth Support Scheme

The Winter Warmth service launches on 10 October 2016 and will run until Spring 2017. The service aims to ensure that all borough residents are keeping warm and well in their homes. Living in a cold home has a whole host of health implications for both adults and children. The service offers arrange of advice and practical support to people which starts with a free home energy advice visit. Advice and support with reducing home energy bills is on offer, help accessing energy discounts and grants, along with energy saving tips and heaters and blankets and heaters for very cold homes.

:: more on the winter warmth support scheme

Related Documents

Related Links

External Links

Contact Details

To book a housing options interview please contact us on 0300 555 2345