A Conservation Area is an area of special historical or architectural interest that we intend to preserve or enhance.
We have identified 22 Conservation Areas in Dudley Borough. Some are canal centred, some are set around open space or canals and others around local shopping or residential centres. They are a particularly important part of the Borough's heritage, which the Council is committed to preserving and enhancing.
- Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest and fine examples of the Borough's unique and varied heritage. They invariably have a concentration of historic buildings many of which are statutorily listed buildings or locally listed buildings.
- Conservation areas in Dudley Borough all reflect a local distinctiveness - that is they reflect the style of the area and have developed over many years. They normally include many varied features, both special and commonplace.
- Their character and attraction comprise more than buildings alone. The uses they are put to and the spaces around and between them are also important. A conservation area, therefore, protects the whole area and not just the buildings within it.
- The aim of designation is to control and manage change to conserve what is special about the area and, where possible, improve it.
- The designation of a conservation area can attract heritage based funding that would not otherwise be available.
- Conservation Areas are designated by Dudley Council, following public consultation. From time to time the Council reviews the areas and their boundaries.
The 22 conservation areas across the borough are detailed in the table below:
|Name of Conservation Area||Date of Original Designation||Date(s) of amendments/extensions|
|All Saints, Sedgley||October 1983|
|Brierley Hill High Street||March 2009|
|Bumble Hole, Netherton||June 1995|
|Castle Hill, Dudley||February 1975||March 2005|
|Church Road, Oldswinford||February 1975|
|The Coppice, Coseley||January 1970|
|Delph 'Nine' Locks, Brierley Hill||February 1976||April 2007|
|Dudley Town Centre Conservation Area||March 2005||October 2015|
|High Street, Stourbridge||February 1975||September 2005|
|The Leasowes, Halesowen||February 1976|
|Love Lane, Oldswinford||September 1976||April 1998|
|Lutley Mill, Lutley||February 1975|
|Mushroom Green||April 1970||October 1977|
|Oak Street, Coseley||November 1969|
|Parkhead Locks, Dudley||May 1981|
|Stourbridge Branch Canal (Amblecote)||March 1987||April 2007|
|Stourbridge Branch Canal (Canal Street)||October 1982||April 2007|
|Stourbridge Sixteen Locks, Wordsley||September 1976||January 1980, 1983 and April 2007|
|The Village, Kingswinford||November 1969|
|Wollaston Conservation Area||January 1991|
|Wordsley Church, Wordsley||October 1969|
|Wordsley Hospital||December 2005|