Skip to main content

Important Planning Update

From 1 July 2024 we will no longer be sending neighbour notification letters advising of planning applications made on, adjacent or near your property. To make sure you don't miss anything, please sign up for My Alerts.


Household Support Fund

Due to predicted high demand, applications for the Household Support Fund have now closed. Further support can be found on our Cost of Living and Household Support pages

Article 4 Directions and the Historic Environment

Extensions and alterations which are normally permitted are controlled in designated areas by what is known as an Article 4 Direction.

This means that planning permission must be obtained to make any changes to a property especially if it will be seen from the street, public footpath or public open spaces. It is not the function of an Article 4 Direction to prevent you from altering or repairing your property, but it does allow the Council to give you advice about the best methods, design and building materials to use. The aim is to preserve the special character of your property and neighbourhood.

Article 4 Directions stipulate that in conservation areas, planning permission is required to:

  • build an extension of any size including a porch, conservatory or garage, or any other structure such as a garden shed, oil tank, outbuilding or swimming pool;
  • make any alteration to the roof - this includes the slates or tiles and putting in a dormer window or roof light;
  • lay any new paved surface - this includes a patio, a driveway or a paved area in your front garden to park your car;
  • Remove, replace or alter windows and doors. Planning permission is also needed to insert a new window or door opening into an existing wall;
  • build, alter or remove gates, fences, walls or other types of boundary feature;
  • paint the woodwork of the house in a non-traditional colour - this includes windows, doors and door frames;
  • paint the render or brickwork on walls; and
  • fix a satellite dish to your house - this is dependent on the size of the dish and where it is placed on the building.

The Article 4 Direction is legally binding and you must apply for planning permission for any of the work listed above. The Council can take enforcement action if you carry out alterations without permission. This could require you to put your property back to its original condition. Failure to comply with an Enforcement Notice can lead to prosecution. The penalty can be a fine of up to £20,000.

Contact Details