In order for an extension/alteration to comply with the LDO, you must apply for written consent from the council to undertake the works, a copy of the application form is within Appendix C. The application MUST be made prior to commencement of any works. If you have plans available you can submit them alongside your application, although the submission of plans is not necessity.
You are however advised to:
• Check the council’s website to ensure compliance with the LDO criteria.
• Seek advice from the Council’s Building Control section to check if Building Regulations are required for your extension. If you choose to apply for Building Regulations approval alongside the LDO application, you are eligible for a 10% discount on your Building Regulations application.
You MUST also:
• Discuss the proposals with your neighbours.
• if your development is effected by a public sewer, as shown on Severn Trent Water Limited’s published map of sewers, you are unfortunately not permitted to use a Building Notice, but MUST submit a Full Plans Application in which instance full construction details including scaled plans and specification for the development must be provided to the department for assessment prior to works beginning on site. Further information regarding can be found on Severn Trent’s website, building over or close to a public sewer.
• there is no option for retrospective LDO applications, if works have commenced, the submission of a full planning application will be required.